Need a new tiller

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am looking at buying a new tiller, the one I have I'm tired of fixing. There is a Champion 208cc that is much cheaper price then the other name brands. But I am use to old machines that go by HP. Now they go by CC. I had an old used Honda ATC that was 200cc and it had a lot of power. I am 6.1' 230 lbs and it would drag bucks out of the woods at hunting season with me on it like it was nothing. I find it hard to believe a 20" tiller is really 208cc... If I gave that thing full throttle I would end up flying lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In my experience, weight is more important. Light tillers just bounce around. Years back I had a 60s or 70s vintage craftsman tiller. 5 horse and a cadt iron base. It could break rocks, and did. Alas, the clutch hub stripped out and I couldn't find any parts.

Fortunately by then my soil was loose enough that the replacement I bought is adequate.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've lost track how old my Bronco tiller has gotten to be. I've literally run the wheels off it and replaced three of them. The recoil starter broke about 5 years ago and I never fixed it...just use a rope and it works just fine. The tines have worn down to where it leaves a 4-inch strip in the middle of the till untouched...gives me a little no dig class :cool:. Its a 90's machine I believe, rear tine , plenty of power, and heavy to avoid bouncing around...but it will give you some kind of shock when it hits a tree root.

I doubt I will ever replace it one reason being I don't think I can get that quality today. If it totally fails, my small tractor will pick up the slack.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've lost track how old my Bronco tiller has gotten to be. I've literally run the wheels off it and replaced three of them. The recoil starter broke about 5 years ago and I never fixed it...just use a rope and it works just fine. The tines have worn down to where it leaves a 4-inch strip in the middle of the till untouched...gives me a little no dig class :cool:. Its a 90's machine I believe, rear tine , plenty of power, and heavy to avoid bouncing around...but it will give you some kind of shock when it hits a tree root.

I doubt I will ever replace it one reason being I don't think I can get that quality today. If it totally fails, my small tractor will pick up the slack.

That's what's wrong with mine, the recoil is worn completely down and the dogs can't bite. Pretty much everything on it I have Jerry-rigged and I'm tired of playing games with it lol. I do prefer an older machine though, the new ones are not built to last. I might check with a few retired farmers I know and see what they have stored away in the barns.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You probably know you can just remove that recoil mechanism and use a rope wrapped around the "fly wheel" to poll start it. I've been doing it that way for four or five years without any problems.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You probably know you can just remove that recoil mechanism and use a rope wrapped around the "fly wheel" to poll start it. I've been doing it that way for four or five years without any problems.

Yes but every year I am fixing something on it that goes wrong. It's an old machine, I never looked up the model number to see when it was manufactured but I'm guessing in the 1980's. When my window of opportunity opens to till my garden in the spring I don't want to be playing backyard mechanic every year I want to get it tilled and planted. In the fall I am in no big rush to till the leaves in but spring the last thing I want to do is play games with it lol. I have lettuce and spinach that is starting to bolt, I want to till it in and plant some shallots now but I'm doing it by hand with a shovel and I'm not impressed.. too hot.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I got a tiller today from a farmer friend. It is huge lol. He no longer farms and it has been sitting for a few years but he kept it in perfect condition. I took out a case of beer, we drank a few and even though I insisted on paying him for it he wouldn't take any money. Times have changed so much, everyone out to make money, it made me think there are still people in the world who care about each other. I will definitely be visiting him with some harvest to share. What an amazing inspiration he is.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I say farmer friend, I don't even really know him. Met him a few times when he use to sell veggies and stuff roadside using an honor box. Kindness is something that's never forgotten to me and I hope to pass it on and aspire to be like him.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I tried out my tiller today. I need to get use to a rear tine. It took me for a nice joy ride, if I didn't stop it I'd be visiting some of you fellow gardeners in the USA. If I strap pontoons to the sides I could have been in London England by tomorrow evening visiting you fine folks. Anyway aside from that it works great other then the tines are warn down to a knife point. So I need to find some after market tines for a Troy Bilt Horse. Anyone know a good place in US to order something like that? @Meadowlark you mentioned you have an old tiller, any idea where I could order them?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've ordered from these folks before and satisfied with service.
Thank you Meadowlark. I just checked the part number there but it's says no longer available because they are discontinued. But I'll keep that link, it will be handy for other parts if at some point I need them.

Ask a Question