Focusing on Meeting Dietry Needs rather than Nutrient Density

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In another thread the futility of focussing on nutrient density in our vegetables was discussed. In short, what is nutrient density? Is it nutrients per kg of produce? In this case dried food is more nutrient dense - which would suggest that dehydrating our produce would be good for us - yet that clearly isn't the case. Is it nutrients in relation to calories? And what nutrients? Is there any beneffit to yet more of a nutrient that you're already getting plenty of? Maxing out on nutrients is a worthwhile goal - IF there are nutrients that we're lacking in our diet.

Which got me thinking about what other things we can focus on when deciding what to grow. I would love to be totally self sufficient, but that's not really possible. But I do like the idea of working towards getting as close as possible. Looking at things this way - what kind of things do we need to grow. I'm UK climate which is a cool, fairly short season.

Here's where I'm at so for staples that are easy to grow in my climate and can either be stored or grown all year around:

Carbohydrates: Potatoes, Sunchokes, winter squash (we can grow corn but not in significant amounts)

Fat and Protein: Hazelnuts, peas, beans, Garden Giant Mushrooms

Fruit and Veg: Courgettes, Carrots, Turnips, Parsnips, Beets, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Asparagus, Peppers, Onions, Garlic, Salad Leaves, Raddish, Celery, Spinach, Apples, Pears, Plums, Taybury, Raspberry, Blueberry, Cherries, Blackberry.

Any thoughts on where the major gaps are? Brassicas grow well in our climate, but I've given up on them due to the battle with the cabbage white. But when you look at it from a dietry needs POV I wonder if it becomes worth the bother?

I don't currently utilize my polytunnel over winter, but happy to do so if I have a plan. I haven't yet got organized for the 'hungry gap'. I have a big shelving unit in front of a large window where I grow indoor crops - it has reflective screens to bounce the light all around and it has solar powered heat and grow lights. I use it to get my seedlings started and currently it's providing me with tomatoes and has done since early June (polytunnel tomatoes still green).

I should add, we're nowhere near self sufficient. But I'm keen to try and cover all the bases from my own garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm not a nutritionist, so I won't attempt to recommend a diet, other than one that is balanced, the very least amount of processed foods and all in moderation.

However, I think (and this is where I usually get in trouble with people;)) that people generally focus too much on diet, i.e. in looking for the ultimate in healthy foods, i.e. Super Foods.

I think eating the healthiest foods is good, unto a point. In other words, if you eat the best proteins and bone-building nutrients you will still start losing muscle mass and bone density at around the age of 30, granted the process is not perceivable, but it accelerates as you age.

That's why I believe intense exercise is a must to say healthy. It's probably just as, if not more important than your diet.

I often hear gardeners say something to the effect of: "I don't need to exercise, I get enough exercise working in the garden..."

This is where I usually get in trouble....I don't agree with that line of thinking. The body is complex, with a lot of moving parts. You can't just do one exercise and expect a complete, healthy body.

I've been riding a bike as my primary form of transportation since the mid-80's and as a result have a very well developed cardio system, but cardio is only a small part of having a healthy body. That's why I do a good amount of weightlifting, because it's just as important to keep the musculoskeletal system healthy as a healthy cardio system (if you want to live a quality life).

Working on a healthy musculoskeletal system is the only way to slow down the natural tendency to lose muscle/bone mass, as well as other negative effects of aging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevelgearbox

Latest Threads