Need Help In Identifying My Rototiller And Find Parts

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a rototiller for free. Been trying to see if I can get it running. Spent time cleaning it up and ordered a new carb for the tecusmeh engine. But I am now trying to find replacement belts and have nothing to help me identify the type of tiller this is. Can someone help me figure out what type of tiller this is and where I can get these belts online. Thanks
20150420_191526.jpg
20150420_191618.jpg
20150420_191641.jpg
20150420_191652.jpg
20150420_191733.jpg

Attachments

• 20150420_191600.jpg
    20150420_191600.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 396
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got a rototiller for free. Been trying to see if I can get it running. Spent time cleaning it up and ordered a new carb for the tecusmeh engine. But I am now trying to find replacement belts and have nothing to help me identify the type of tiller this is. Can someone help me figure out what type of tiller this is and where I can get these belts online. ThanksView attachment 5255 View attachment 5257 View attachment 5258 View attachment 5259 View attachment 5260
Looks like an old TroyBuilt Pony

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Yeah, that looks like an old TroyBilt Pony. An oldie for sure. :) You could look up parts online or go by Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight carries lots of stuff too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
It does look like a troy-bilt, not sure which one, I have a troy-bilt Junior that looks very much like it. Mine had sat for some time I and I had to buy a carb for mine, got it from Amazon pretty cheap really. once I got started messing with it I was able to find good info on the internet. It's been a couple of months so I recall the exact sites but I think below should help. Your engine looks like an HS 40, information at Barrett Small Engine. http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/tecumseh/hs40.html

If it is a Pony lots of good info here related to the tiller aspect http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/...catalogId=14102&modelNumber=pony&serialNumber

Both of above have pdf files you can download and save, I did that so I could ensure I would have all the info i could going forward. I was able to get a copy of the technicians handbook for my engine, which is really cool.

This place looks like they might have the belts if in fact it is a Pony, there were a couple Ebay possibilites also.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/troy...ne-support-brackets-pulleys-belts-belt-cover/

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one just a little newer. I think anyway, I've got to go out and look at the ser. number again. I've found one that looks a lot like mine and they say its a pony with reverse. Its not typical and a lot rarer. The difference from most pony's is that behind the engine there is a very different case. It has two driving shafts, both with keys. Most have an additional pulley attached with bolts. A breakdown of mine is here. https://www.partstree.com/parts/tro...ler-sn-s0204133-s0242649/engine-pulley-belts/ I'd like to replace the engine without losing reverse, which is what the additional shaft is used for, but that may be tough. Unless I can take that rear case part and put it on a different 5 horse b and s ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This tiller was given to me with a bad motor and I don't know how it operates. Its a little rare so you can't see much on youtube ect. But, my best info at least says it should have reverse. Not sure about the rest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
The final photo posted by the OP tells me that the engine is a 4hp Tecumseh. As was said earlier, parts for these are a little hard to come by as the company went out of business years ago. The good news though is that some of the Tecumseh engines are directly replaceable by a good old B&S. I know this for the simple reason I swapped out a 5hp for an 800 series B&S a couple of years ago.

As regards belts, it just a matter of measuring up whats needed and taking a trip to somewhere like NAPA or similar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I bought a honda knock off for 100 dollars that bolted up to my Horse 3. When you google repower troybilt pony you are liable to find a website I used that offers a lot of the different engines that are the appropriate bolt pattern and shaft size.

I still have that original tecumseh if you want it. It needs rebuilding. It runs but there was no power. I have not compression tested it. It is a 6 hp.

Last edited:

Ask a Question