National Library Week in the USA

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Here in the states, April 8 is the beginning of National Library Week. Please stop by your local library, check out a book or two, support its programs such as children's reading programs or Books on Wheels that delivers and retrieves books from nursing homes and hospitals, and if your library has a support group like Friends of the Library, join.
As is said, "use it or lose it" and losing a library is a terrible thing.
(disclaimer--I am a retired children's librarian and considered it the best job in the world!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If I were over your way then you could definitely count me in @marlingardener (y) Love them soooo much and use them a lot not only for myself but also in my work with the children.
So many are closing down over here too, such a shame as they are an unsung asset to all communities.
Sadly people only moan about them closing down, instead of using and supporting them when they were open!!

I have just checked out my 17th book this year!:bookworm::bookworm::bookworm: No, I don't sit around all day reading......just don't watch much TV in the evenings:)

What a lovely and undoubtedly rewarding job you had.:)(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Upsy Daisy, yes it was a most rewarding job, but mostly it was fun! The children were so curious, so interested in everything, and I got to act like a child and not be frowned upon.
Our local library has cut back its hours due to a cutback in town funding. I protested but to no avail. The town is financially strapped and this was one of the ways it could reduce expenditures. Sad, and the town will realize in the future just how short-sighted that move was.
But, I buy books, swap books with friends, and go to the library when it is open--reading is too important to give up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I totally understand what you mean......I've been both a 5 and a 7yr old today..soooooo much fun, even on a wet grey day you can't help but laugh when with children:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think reading is like listening to something on the radio, it makes you use your imagination to visualise the scenario and faces.
I am normally disappointed after watching a film or TV programme based on a book that I have previously read.....I much prefer the version inside my own head!!:);)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

In all seriousness, libraries are a great thing. I haven't been to one in a very long time, but each library is filled with so much information and history that anyone can access. Losing them would be a terrible thing.

Last edited:

Ask a Question