Nasturtiums for more than color?

Reaction score
No, but I'd love to try! I've eaten squash blossoms before, and I've drank water made with hibiscus blossoms (we know them here as ''flor de jamaica''). Both culinary experiences were excellent, actually over here is very normal to drink and eat those two; nothing weird about it. I might try with other flowers in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a few tiny nasturtium plants so I don't know how much experimenting I will get to do. I probably should see about sprouting a few more seeds before the cold weather sets in. I have to start thinking about what I am going to do about certain plants once the weather changes. It's still fairly warm, but we are heading into November now...

Reaction score
I hear ya, I still have some plants left in the garden (they're in pots), so I might be needing to get thme inside. I might let the Calla Lily outside. I read over here that is necessary to let the calla lily die during the winter, so it can regrow again later and blossom. It's been a while since my calla lily hasn't blossomed :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I hear ya, I still have some plants left in the garden (they're in pots), so I might be needing to get thme inside. I might let the Calla Lily outside. I read over here that is necessary to let the calla lily die during the winter, so it can regrow again later and blossom. It's been a while since my calla lily hasn't blossomed :(

Maybe it needs to be fed? Is it in the ground or in a pot? In a pot it might be rootbound. I had some day lilies that didn't bloom, but the finally flowered recently, even though they were kind of scraggly. They often get trampled or plowed over so I am thinking of relocating them. They could definitely stand to be dug up and thinned out so it's going to be quite a project.

Reaction score
It's in a pot, I don't feel comfortable enough to work with soil directly. So, you think I should dig it up and thin out the roots? I had no idea I could even do that. I was really afraid of messing with its roots, but I guess it's worth the try. After all that poor thing has been in that pot for a while. I'm going to give it away soon tho, to the person who originally gave me the bulb :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's in a pot, I don't feel comfortable enough to work with soil directly. So, you think I should dig it up and thin out the roots? I had no idea I could even do that. I was really afraid of messing with its roots, but I guess it's worth the try. After all that poor thing has been in that pot for a while. I'm going to give it away soon tho, to the person who originally gave me the bulb :)

No, you don't want to thin out the roots, definitely DO NOT do that! Bulbing plants produce more bulbs so you can end up with this clump of them fighting for space and nutrients in the soil. Growing them in pots is a greater advantage, but it also means they need to be fed more often because nutrients get washed out of the soil through the pot's drainage holes. You will want to separate them, if necessary, at the end of each season and feed them regularly.

Reaction score
Ow, thanks for the correction, I thought thinning the roots was a bit weird, but I wasn't that surprised :p I think I have seen a small call lily trying to make her way, I'll definitely check that. I was a bit afraid to remove it! I plan to put it in a small pot. My poor calla lily seems so miserable :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ow, thanks for the correction, I thought thinning the roots was a bit weird, but I wasn't that surprised :p I think I have seen a small call lily trying to make her way, I'll definitely check that. I was a bit afraid to remove it! I plan to put it in a small pot. My poor calla lily seems so miserable :(

Good luck with it! When my daylilies didn't bloom in the spring, I started spraying them with banana peel water. The stupid snails started eating the leaves until I was left with naked bulbs. By the time the scraggly blooms poked their way up I was in shock! I have some other lilies I started from seed, so I will be curious to see how long it takes them to produce blooms.

Reaction score
Woah, the banana water attracted the snails then? I really dislike those pesky things, when you less expect it they are all over your plants! Ugh, specially in the garden, another reason I don't like the idea of planting things in the soil. I feel planting things in pots gives me way more control. I hope your lillies do better the next year :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Woah, the banana water attracted the snails then? I really dislike those pesky things, when you less expect it they are all over your plants! Ugh, specially in the garden, another reason I don't like the idea of planting things in the soil. I feel planting things in pots gives me way more control. I hope your lillies do better the next year :)

No, the snails ate the leaves first. They are completely annoying. They devour all kinds of plants that you wouldn't expect them to. Last winter I was constantly evicting them from flower pots and pitching them out toward the street. There was a lot of rain, which meant a lot of algae, so they were everywhere.

Reaction score
Ugh, those little things seem to be able to get almost anywehere they want to! I once caught one inside one my pots! I thought the tobacco powder was doing something helpful, but it seems they kinda liked it, lol. Ugh. Is there a good, efficient and organic way to deal with snails?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ugh, those little things seem to be able to get almost anywehere they want to! I once caught one inside one my pots! I thought the tobacco powder was doing something helpful, but it seems they kinda liked it, lol. Ugh. Is there a good, efficient and organic way to deal with snails?

There are many things you can try - last winter I tried eggshells but after a while I realized that the shells were probably too wet from all the rain to actually work. You could try putting beer down, but to me that's a waste. Next spring I would like to try copper mesh. Supposedly there is something about copper that gives them a little shock when they come in contact with it.

Reaction score
Uhm, copper mesh? I guess I could try that in the future :D I guess I could try thids method with my edibles, but for my front garden...I guess I'll have to try beer. I heard about the beer before, but I wasn't entirely sure! You're not the only one ;) Because in the eyes of my boyfriend it will be a mega waste as well :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Uhm, copper mesh? I guess I could try that in the future :D I guess I could try thids method with my edibles, but for my front garden...I guess I'll have to try beer. I heard about the beer before, but I wasn't entirely sure! You're not the only one ;) Because in the eyes of my boyfriend it will be a mega waste as well :p

How have things worked out? I have more or less given up the garden for winter. I did finally manage to get a greenhouse, but my nasturtiums didn't survive. Not sure if it was the cold or being in the greenhouse, some plants seem to have done better on their own. The snails have been less of an issue, but then again, I am not out there everyday.

Reaction score
How have things worked out? I have more or less given up the garden for winter. I did finally manage to get a greenhouse, but my nasturtiums didn't survive. Not sure if it was the cold or being in the greenhouse, some plants seem to have done better on their own. The snails have been less of an issue, but then again, I am not out there everyday.

No gardening for me, at lest for now. I just came came back from my trip, but planning to leave again after a few months to the Netherlands, but once I find a place for me and my love I will start gardening ;)

Sorry to hear your nasturtiums died ;) I'm sure you will do better next year :)

Ask a Question