My poor avocado plant....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last summer I attempted to germinate some avocado pits, out of like10, only 4 or so rooted, and of those, only 1 truly arose as a success. But alas, he is in dire straights. Please look at the attached picture.

As you can see, the top right leaf is browning and beginning to curl up. How do I combat this!? He has been under a grow light all winter along with 4 lemon plants I have kept at room temperature safe from the blizzards pounding outside (I live in MA), the last few days it's been sunny and near 70 so I placed him along with the lemons outside during the day and back in before night so they can get some real sun. I'm not sure if some of the winds are responsible for this? I'm an amateur as you can tell, but please help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
No pic but I've grown those things. It's probably just shock from being put outside. Gradually put the plants outside a few hours at a time. Until you know it won't freeze anymore then leave them out there. Do the same thing in reverse at the end of the growing season. And if you want or plan on getting avocados be aware that you need a male and female plant. But I wouldn't count on getting any fruit. It's a zone thing and avocados aren't exactly a New England sort of climate to be growing them. Enjoy the plants though. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Aw, the pic appears for me, I wonder what went wrong. But ya, I don't intend on it ever fruiting, I just want the plant. I have since kept him inside 24/7 and it hasn't appear to have gotten worse at the least. Should I prune off the suffering leaf?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
As an indoor plant just water it every few days.It has a long tap root so you might have to re-pot it a few times. It's a good indoor plant.

Ask a Question