My HFGH and the benefit of reading forums first

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I probably should have done a little housecleaning before taking these pics but here is mine. The two little a/c fans (black) come out next month and then everything runs off of solar. I haven't put in the automatic opener yet because I am still heating with gas. The reason the "back pots" are elevated is because there is a bag of 20 gallons of water underneath the tiles.
The irrigation system has a sprinkler for each pot and also misters hooked up just behind the rod on the right.
Those colourful little tools hanging there are actual adult tools, not toys. They are the perfect size for this type of space.
I also put mine on the deck however I didn't build a platform. I made a frame out of 2x4 pressure treat and left openings in this base to feed my power and water lines.
I too put this up myself, did everything myself including the wiring for the solar panels. The heater is a natural gas heater and now that it seems to be working perfectly, I expect my thermometer/alarms will show up!
GH Almost spring 2015 left side.JPG
GH Almost spring 2015 left side.JPG GH Almost spring 2015 right side.JPG GH Almost spring 2015 back.JPG
GH Almost spring 2015 right side.JPG
GH Almost spring 2015 back.JPG
GH Almost spring 2015 right side.JPG
GH Almost spring 2015 back.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one Lori, looks well organised :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
The ceiling fan moves a fantastic amount of air and runs off of the solar panel. I have two dc timers so that I can have the fan run in 10 on 10 off (minute) cycles and the water pump for the bag of water/solar water heater will use the power on the fan "off" periods. Don't want to waste the free energy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Hi Ariel,

Very nice job on the greenhouse, you should be proud! I’m on my 3rd season with my 6x8 HFGH. I didn’t make any modifications such as calking or extra insulation as I’m in a very mild climate, cooling is typically as much a concern as cold is for me.

The pool cover material is an interesting idea. On occasion I have thrown one of those furniture moving blankets over the top of mine for a little extra insulation if the temperature was supposed to get low.

Sorry to say I have no extra door, but in the bright side my door still works well.

Again, nice job, no small task getting these things set up out of the box, or customized. It is a lot of fun though.

I enjoyed the pictures, thank you :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
The "bubble" in my little gh is from ACF greenhouse. It is meant for GH insulation and is flat on both sides.
I toyed with the idea of simply wrapping it around the outside but when I called their tech people to ask about this they said no no no, it will only last maybe 2 seasons that way... too bad- would have been much easier.
Just finished moving the smaller greenhouse, but nothing in it worth looking at!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ariel,
I love your interior framing to insulate and giving you hanging space. These little gh's don't take long to fill up so it's super to use vertical space as well.
What is that "electronic looking thingie" on the shelf in the last picture?

Reaction score
canadian lori just pointed me to this thread (i didn't even know there was a separate green house forum). i just brought this green house, so i'll be using some of your building tips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ariel,
I love your interior framing to insulate and giving you hanging space. These little gh's don't take long to fill up so it's super to use vertical space as well.
What is that "electronic looking thingie" on the shelf in the last picture?

Thank you! Sorry I didn't reply earlier - spring is insane for me and I know I intended to, but I hope late is better than never.:D

The electronic thing is a temperature recording device that lets me know what the temperature got to in the greenhouse. It is very handy, though right now it is giving me fits because it keeps recording alarm inducing temperatures in the mostly empty greenhouse and the alarm eats up the battery. Grrr! Also on the shelf are the batter and inverter for the solar panels that were (hopefully) to power the greenhouse. I think I need to get a few more panels if I want to make that work. ;)

canadian lori just pointed me to this thread (i didn't even know there was a separate green house forum). i just brought this green house, so i'll be using some of your building tips.

Thank you, Philphine! Just post here or message me! I am in the midst of fitting a fan to my greenhouse and am clearing it out so that we can raise it up a foot or so. I’ll post again when I have some pictures to show for it. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ariel,
Isn't solar power the bees knees! I now have 8 x 40w panels and 3x20w. They power the 6x8 gh fans (now have 4 in there), the 4x6 gh fans - two, plus run a fountain in a home made bird bath and charge a 335ah deep cycle battery which I use to charge up my usb connected devices.

I seem to be addicted to this solar stuff. Just wish I could afford to cover my roof with them.

I got a temp alarm system because of the two times my heater extinguished itself but the sensors only cause yelling if the temps go below a certain degree or above. I do have a couple of those digital thermometers with the remote display but as you say, unless it actually alerts you to dangerous temps, they're just a way of monitoring the temps.

Made a couple of shade cloths out of landscape fabric and will be getting that up shortly however I've found that leaving the door open on hot days really helps the air flow faster out the vent. I just attach screening to the bottom of the door to keep the chipmunks out!

Really like your set up.

Philphine, do share pics when you get your project going. We'll all love to see how you're getting along and looking forward to congratulating you on your first gh!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Update and replies!

Agreed, Lori - solar power is the way to go! I am green with envy about your setup - maybe I will get there some day too. You inspire me to!

Wanted to share a few pictures of my ventilation system.

20150519_174811_zpsfbtr1p4l.jpg
[/IMG]
20150519_174811_zpsfbtr1p4l.jpg

This 12" fan was what was spec'ed for the 6'x8' greenhouse and it does seem to work pretty well. I have it on a thermostatically controlled power plug so it only turns on when the temps get above 85. It's running off the regular power right now since the darned inverter I got for the solar panels screams at me if the charge drops (why not just shut off? No, use my batter power to sound the alarm instead!)

20150519_174753_zpsn2pgoqbr.jpg

I hadn't yet cut off all the screw ends in this shot, nor capped the connections, but you get the idea. This oak frame is tied into the verticals on either side of the center polycarbonate panel and rests on the lateral support. It's actually REALLY sturdy, which is something I was afraid it wouldn't be when I designed this.

The next project in the greenhouse is raising the whole thing a foot up and changing the door from a slider to a regular door. Wish me luck.

Ariel

Reaction score
well it turned out that mine didn't have any instructions (i also noticed when i turned the box over, it had "throw away" written on the bottom. so i don't know what i'm in for as far as maybe something broke or missing), and after reading all the comments about having to follow them closely i figured i'll need to find some online or something. once i hunt up some i'll get around to working on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well it turned out that mine didn't have any instructions (i also noticed when i turned the box over, it had "throw away" written on the bottom. so i don't know what i'm in for as far as maybe something broke or missing), and after reading all the comments about having to follow them closely i figured i'll need to find some online or something. once i hunt up some i'll get around to working on it.

The Harbor Freight website has the instructions available as a downloadable PDF. You will DEFINITELY need the directions if you are to build this greenhouse. See if all the parts are present before you start to assemble too - HF was pretty good about sending missing pieces, but you have to have your receipt and it has to be within 90 days of purchase.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/47000-47999/47712.PDF

There's the link for the manual - download and print it, and definitely save it! You will read it VERY closely before you finish the thing. ;) Good luck! I love mine and I hope you learn to love yours too.

Edit: Oops, I just assumed you got the 6' x 8' - but they have the instructions for the bigger one there too. Good luck!

Reaction score
thanks. i don't have a receipt though. i got it at a habitat store. i'll have to see what i have whenever i get started on it. thanks again.

Ask a Question