What are the health benefits of Oranges?

Reaction score
To boost your immunity - A single orange can meet more than 100% of daily requirements of Vitamin C, helping to keep you from diseases and infections.

Here is some of the benefits you can get out of one single orange:

1. Good for your skin: Even though aging is inevitable, oranges are packed with Vitamin C and antioxidants, which slows down the process making you look more youthful, it makes your skin glow.

2. Great for your eyes: Along with our skin, our eyes too suffer from damage as we age. Oranges are rich in supplements, for example, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and potassium which are incredible for your eyes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is good to know:) I love oranges! They're really delicious. Also, I've recently developed an addiction to orange juice, I drink it every day.
Is it true that potatoes contain more Vitamin C than oranges?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I love oranges, too! I eat some when I feel like I will get a cold. Sadly, I cannot eat an orange every day because my stomach hurts. I have hyperacidity, and citrus fruits make it worse.

Reaction score
This is good to know:) I love oranges! They're really delicious. Also, I've recently developed an addiction to orange juice, I drink it every day.
Is it true that potatoes contain more Vitamin C than oranges?

Yes, I have read that potatoes have lots of nutrients and more Vitamin C than oranges. But the only think about potatoes they are full of starch. Personally I rather eat more oranges than eating too many potatoes, lol. :p

Reaction score
Yes, I have read that potatoes have lots of nutrients and more Vitamin C than oranges. But the only think about potatoes they are full of starch. Personally I rather eat more oranges than eating too many potatoes, lol. :p

Unfortunately that is not entirely correct - as it is only sweet potatoes that are thought to contain more vitamin C than an orange - as both ordinary potatoes and oranges are more or less equal in the amount of vitamin C that they contain.

I would however also just point out - that as the recommended daily amount of vitamin C - is for the average person around 60 mg a day - as an average orange would only be likely to contain somewhere around 12mg of vitamin C - at the very most and that is being generous - it would be necessary to eat more than just one orange a day - in order to meet the daily recommended amount of vitamin C .

Although I too would agree that citrus fruits are an excellent source of vitamin C - as not everyone can eat citrus fruits - I am including a link to site that you might find helpful - as not only does it provide accurate and reliable information - but also a very useful list of other fruits and vegetables to choose from - that all contain similar amounts of vitamin C to that of an orange

http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/vitamin-c-in-fruits-and-vegetables

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
it is only sweet potatoes that are thought to contain more vitamin C than an orange - as both ordinary potatoes and oranges are more or less equal in the amount of vitamin C that they contain.
If you compare by the same weight, orange contains about twice the amount of Vitamin C of potatoes (ordinary or sweet).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, I prefer oranges to potatoes too:) They're so much more delicious. To be honest, fries is the only way I eat potatoes. I'm pretty sure they lose much of their original vitamin C content when they're dipped in boiling oil:(

Reaction score
Unfortunately that is not entirely correct - as it is only sweet potatoes that are thought to contain more vitamin C than an orange - as both ordinary potatoes and oranges are more or less equal in the amount of vitamin C that they contain.

I would however also just point out - that as the recommended daily amount of vitamin C - is for the average person around 60 mg a day - as an average orange would only be likely to contain somewhere around 12mg of vitamin C - at the very most and that is being generous - it would be necessary to eat more than just one orange a day - in order to meet the daily recommended amount of vitamin C .

Although I too would agree that citrus fruits are an excellent source of vitamin C - as not everyone can eat citrus fruits - I am including a link to site that you might find helpful - as not only does it provide accurate and reliable information - but also a very useful list of other fruits and vegetables to choose from - that all contain similar amounts of vitamin C to that of an orange

http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/vitamin-c-in-fruits-and-vegetables

Like I have stated in my reply that I have read about it. What I read didn't stated anything about sweet potatoes. It was regards to white potatoes. Potatoes contain a more percentage of Vitamin C and yet full of starch, as of for oranges contain citric acid. They are both high in fiber.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love to drink orange juice, but I can't just eat an orange. I do not like the texture of orange pieces in my mouth and therefore I avoid them. I buy oranges and simply squeeze out all of the juice if I am having a craving for it. Does the juice provide as much Vitamin C as just eating an orange?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love oranges, I even eat the skins that most people throw out. Oranges also contain choline, zeaxanthin, and carotenoids.

Choline is an important nutrient found in oranges that helps with sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory. Choline also helps to maintain the structure of cellular membranes, aids in the transmission of nerve impulses, assists in the absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation.

Reaction score
To boost your immunity - A single orange can meet more than 100% of daily requirements of Vitamin C, helping to keep you from diseases and infections.

Here is some of the benefits you can get out of one single orange:

1. Good for your skin: Even though aging is inevitable, oranges are packed with Vitamin C and antioxidants, which slows down the process making you look more youthful, it makes your skin glow.

2. Great for your eyes: Along with our skin, our eyes too suffer from damage as we age. Oranges are rich in supplements, for example, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and potassium which are incredible for your eyes.
Oranges are amazing !!! Thank you for sharing this important information with all of us. We live in Florida, so we always have a lot of oranges here. They are great for boosting your immune system and fighting off colds too. Vitamin C is amazing and something most of us don't get enough of. Eating 1 orange a day can do wonders for your health!!

Thanks again!!
Danyel :)

Reaction score
Uhm, those are great reasons to drink more natural orange juice! To be honest I'm not a big fan of the fruit, at least not eating the fruit just like that... but I do love some fresh orange juice in the morning from time to time.

Reaction score
I love to drink orange juice, but I can't just eat an orange. I do not like the texture of orange pieces in my mouth and therefore I avoid them. I buy oranges and simply squeeze out all of the juice if I am having a craving for it. Does the juice provide as much Vitamin C as just eating an orange?

Same here! The act of eating the fruit itself is kinda repulsive to me, because of the weird texture of the fruit and those annoying white things! The orange doesn't taste that good when eaten, it seems better to just squeeze and drink all the juice! It tastes much better! As for the vitamins... all is good as long as you leave the pulp in the juice!

Ask a Question