My gladiolas are still new in the bag.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It was so hot and dry this summer that I did not put my gladiolas out. When I bought them at Walmart, I already had a place picked out for them. But the weather turned into a drought here in Kentucky and everything roasted outside. It was a horrible mess here. My gladiola buds (bulbs?) are still in their netted bag. I would like to put them out eventually. What should I do with them right now? Dark closet? Plant them indoors? Will they bloom inside?

Reaction score
You may have to store them with peat moss in your attic or cellar. Take them out in March or whenever is your planting season and plant them. I do this every year in winter. Our planting season starts in late January. I will be happy to pull out the bulbs and get them going soon.

Reaction score
For the last several years Ihave just left my gladiolas in the ground over winter and they have come back each year. Now it has not been a super cold winter so that may be why. I like a lot of the bulbs but do not like the ones that I have to dig up each fall and replant in the spring.

Reaction score
I agree with Maddie, as to what to do next with these. Since they have been unplanted for so long you may lose some, but I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone successfully growing Glads inside. You could do an experiment though, and try with a few! I have grown them in containers out on a deck and they did very well. Rich well drained soil is all you need, along with enough sun. They need a good depth of soil too.

So if you have a spot inside that gets a lot of sun, at a guess five or six hours a day minimum, that could actually work. (You would probably need a corner with two windows and/or maybe even a skylight, though.)

Good luck with it!

These I grew out on a deck in containers, a couple of years ago:

IMG_0280.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I had almost the same thing happen with my glads. We moved here last July, and I put a few out, but then the heat just got terrible, and the rest stayed in the bag all winter, out n the porch. I found them again this spring, and some of them had little green tops, so I am putting them out in the new little flower garden areas, as I get them ready to plant. To my surprise, there were daffodils coming up along the side of the house this spring, too ! Since we moved here so late last year, I had no idea what might come up. I am digging up some of the daffodils, and moving them around , so there should be a lot more coming up next spring.
image.jpg

Ask a Question