Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello folks!

Now, I have recently bought 3 flowering cherry trees for my yard

1x Kwanzan
2x Koshini

Approx. 10 days ago

7 days ago I planted them and now the leaves look to be yellowing and ready to drop, almost like they have no energy. I attached a photo of one of my Koshini

I am wondering, did I over water? Under water?

Quickest fix..leave it alone?

Help! lol

and thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_4640.jpeg
    IMG_4640.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do all three look like that. That looks like a tomato plant wilting down from lack of water. Pretty uncommon to see in a tree. Have you watered it any? If you water it and it doesn't perk up, then thats not the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeh pretty much

the Kwanzan does a little better

and they all do better when the day cools down some here in AR

I can water them of courseware but just do not know what is best, more or less water

I don't want to drown them as the soil here is relatively clay like and heavy

all 3 cost me a $1,000 and just don't want them to die lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the soil is wet and it is hot and dry, could be transpiration.

An overly wet clay compacted soil tends to block out air within the soil which suffocates the roots, but since the tree was in a potting mix and that was transferered into the soil, I don't see that being the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is very important that if the tree is planted like the one in the background with soil or mulch heaped up around the base remove it and make sure the root flare is exposed. However, this heaped up soil or buried root flare will not cause wilting. Only you know how much water you applied but it appears to be a lack of enough water and transplant shock that is the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
the last couple of days have seen massive rains here locally. My cherries look a lot perkier so i think nature has answered my question! Ha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
They were planted in a biodegradable wrap so to speak

Which means the roots are probably in a ball within that wrap. It may be biodegradable but it takes a while to break up and doesn't necessarily mean the roots will spread after. If the trees were mine I'd have removed it before planting. You have said they've been in the ground about a week. There is no reason why you can't lift them to remove the wrap and spread the roots. It's your choice of course. :)

Ask a Question