My beautiful rose

Reaction score
Yeah, I supposed that miniatures were easier to root, but I wasn't sure if that was a fact. Glad to have an expert in roses here ;) who cleared this up :) Best of luck with those cuttings, I checked the out again... they're so beautiful!

Reaction score
Thank you for this information, it's really interesting! Now, I don't feel so guilty for not using any rooting hormones:) I haven't heard of auxin before.
I decided to try something new with cuttings from my white roses. My mother had told me to put them in water. I did it and they quickly developed a few leaves. When they grow a little bigger, I'll put the cuttings in the soil:)

My pleasure and am pleased that you found the information helpful - especially as not many people are aware that some roses contain their own natural rooting compound and therefore by adding extra artificial rooting hormone it normally inhibits growth.

However I would just say that it might be best not to get too excited yet - as propagating roses in water is not normally very successful and although there a few varieties that may do so - most do not and although you are seeing signs that look like they are starting to root - the new growth is normally just from the stored energy left in the canes.

Although I'm more than sure that I've mentioned this before - roses are known to be one of the easiest plants to propagate and all roses regardless of type are easy to propagate - if done correctly and at the right time of year and it is only some of the newer hybrid tea and grandiflora roses that prove to be a little more difficult and because of that are normally propagated by grafting - instead of stem cuttings :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My pleasure and am pleased that you found the information helpful - especially as not many people are aware that some roses contain their own natural rooting compound and therefore by adding extra artificial rooting hormone it normally inhibits growth.

However I would just say that it might be best not to get too excited yet - as propagating roses in water is not normally very successful and although there a few varieties that may do so - most do not and although you are seeing signs that look like they are starting to root - the new growth is normally just from the stored energy left in the canes.

Although I'm more than sure that I've mentioned this before - roses are known to be one of the easiest plants to propagate and all roses regardless of type are easy to propagate - if done correctly and at the right time of year and it is only some of the newer hybrid tea and grandiflora roses that prove to be a little more difficult and because of that are normally propagated by grafting - instead of stem cuttings :)
I keep my cuttings in water only because this method worked for my mother more than once. As soon as they grow a little bigger, I'll plant them in soil. For now, they seem to be really strong. I want them to turn into a beautiful rose bush so badly!:D If it won't be a success, I'll encourage my boyfriend to buy me more roses:)

Reaction score
I keep my cuttings in water only because this method worked for my mother more than once. As soon as they grow a little bigger, I'll plant them in soil. For now, they seem to be really strong. I want them to turn into a beautiful rose bush so badly!:D If it won't be a success, I'll encourage my boyfriend to buy me more roses:)

I know you do and I can fully appreciate why - especially as its a particularly pretty rose and although I've already mentioned that only a few varieties of roses can be propagated this way - I sincerely hope that what you have is one of them and that soon you will have the makings of a very attractive little rose bush - which of course I will be looking out for news of :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know you do and I can fully appreciate why - especially as its a particularly pretty rose and although I've already mentioned that only a few varieties of roses can be propagated this way - I sincerely hope that what you have is one of them and that soon you will have the makings of a very attractive little rose bush - which of course I will be looking out for news of :)
I will keep you posted:)
My white rose is very special to me, because I cherish the memory of the day when I received it:) It was such a romantic moment!
A rose bush would make a lovely token of remembrance:love::D

Ask a Question