Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Be nice if I can root the Rose too, be lovely to give her a Rosebush from it

Reaction score
zigs - thats a really lovely thought - especially as receiving just one of those roses would be a wonderful gift - let alone receiving a whole bush of them - that you could look at all year round - but first you would have to persuade Claudine to part with one of her treasured cuttings and am not sure that any one would be too successful on that score :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
zigs - thats a really lovely thought - especially as receiving just one of those roses would be a wonderful gift - let alone receiving a whole bush of them - that you could look at all year round - but first you would have to persuade Claudine to part with one of her treasured cuttings and am not sure that any one would be too successful on that score :D

No, the virtual breakfast rose is real, got it in a jar of water on the windowsill :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Did eat the smoked Salmon though

Reaction score
No, the virtual breakfast rose is real, got it in a jar of water on the windowsill :)

:oops: I was clearly having another one of those mental block moments - and got confused :confused: thought you meant you wanted to grow a rose like Claudines :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Love a good mental block :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Think we need a Seal track:)

Reaction score
Wow, Claudine! The picture isn't very clear, but I can easily see that rose is probably one of the most beautiful ones I have seen in a long time! Isn't a red rose right? The color seems of a nicer shade, right now I can't remember what that color is called in English tho. Could you root it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, Claudine! The picture isn't very clear, but I can easily see that rose is probably one of the most beautiful ones I have seen in a long time! Isn't a red rose right? The color seems of a nicer shade, right now I can't remember what that color is called in English tho. Could you root it?
Thank you, Trellum:D Unfortunately, I wasn't able to root it:cry: I did everything I could, I put it in the soil and I watered it regularly, but it turned brown after two weeks:cry:
The color of this rose was gorgeous:love: It wasn't exactly red.

Reaction score
Oh no :( Did you use some kind of rooting hormone to root it ? I heard aspirin has the same effect, so does the cinnamon. Next time you can try it and tell us (y):) What would you have done with that rose if you could have planted it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh no :( Did you use some kind of rooting hormone to root it ? I heard aspirin has the same effect, so does the cinnamon. Next time you can try it and tell us (y):) What would you have done with that rose if you could have planted it?
I wanted to plant it in my parents' garden, in front of my window:cry:
I didn't use any rooting hormones. Now, I regret it. I hope I'll have more luck with my white roses! The cuttings already developed a few leaves, so I'm an optimist:D

Reaction score
I didn't use any rooting hormones. Now, I regret it. I hope I'll have more luck with my white roses! The cuttings already developed a few leaves, so I'm an optimist:D

As I had been wondering how your rose was doing I've been keeping an eye out for news of it - so am really sorry to hear that it didn't work - especially as it was such a gorgeous rose :)

Unfortunately as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts - store bought roses that have then been displayed in a vase - very rarely take - even if you do everything correctly - which I know for sure you did.

However - I can assure you that using rooting hormone wouldn't have made any difference either - as it is rarely used to propagate roses - as they actually don't need it - because most roses contain a substance called auxin - which is their own natural rooting hormone - which means that - if you then overload it by adding extra synthetic rooting hormone - it often causes the cutting to fail.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As I had been wondering how your rose was doing I've been keeping an eye out for news of it - so am really sorry to hear that it didn't work - especially as it was such a gorgeous rose :)

Unfortunately as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts - store bought roses that have then been displayed in a vase - very rarely take - even if you do everything correctly - which I know for sure you did.

However - I can assure you that using rooting hormone wouldn't have made any difference either - as it is rarely used to propagate roses - as they actually don't need it - because most roses contain a substance called auxin - which is their own natural rooting hormone - which means that - if you then overload it by adding extra synthetic rooting hormone - it often causes the cutting to fail.
Thank you for this information, it's really interesting! Now, I don't feel so guilty for not using any rooting hormones:) I haven't heard of auxin before.
I decided to try something new with cuttings from my white roses. My mother had told me to put them in water. I did it and they quickly developed a few leaves. When they grow a little bigger, I'll put the cuttings in the soil:)

Reaction score

Oh, so sorry to hear that :( I'm sure that rose would have been a wonderful addition to your garden :) Maybe the next time you try it you will succeed :)

I have never tried rooting a rose before, but if my boyfriend ever cuts a fresh rose for me I will surely try it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, so sorry to hear that :( I'm sure that rose would have been a wonderful addition to your garden :) Maybe the next time you try it you will succeed :)

I have never tried rooting a rose before, but if my boyfriend ever cuts a fresh rose for me I will surely try it :)
I can say from my own experience that it's much easier to root a cutting from a miniature rose than from a regular rose. I won't give up though! I really want to root my white roses (I posted a few pictures of them here: https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/white-roses-are-the-most-beautiful-roses.2238/). I have 5 cuttings. All of them are still green, so I hope it will be a success:)

Ask a Question