Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Think we need a Seal track:)

Reaction score
Wow, Claudine! The picture isn't very clear, but I can easily see that rose is probably one of the most beautiful ones I have seen in a long time! Isn't a red rose right? The color seems of a nicer shade, right now I can't remember what that color is called in English tho. Could you root it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, Claudine! The picture isn't very clear, but I can easily see that rose is probably one of the most beautiful ones I have seen in a long time! Isn't a red rose right? The color seems of a nicer shade, right now I can't remember what that color is called in English tho. Could you root it?
Thank you, Trellum:D Unfortunately, I wasn't able to root it:cry: I did everything I could, I put it in the soil and I watered it regularly, but it turned brown after two weeks:cry:
The color of this rose was gorgeous:love: It wasn't exactly red.

Reaction score
Oh no :( Did you use some kind of rooting hormone to root it ? I heard aspirin has the same effect, so does the cinnamon. Next time you can try it and tell us (y):) What would you have done with that rose if you could have planted it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh no :( Did you use some kind of rooting hormone to root it ? I heard aspirin has the same effect, so does the cinnamon. Next time you can try it and tell us (y):) What would you have done with that rose if you could have planted it?
I wanted to plant it in my parents' garden, in front of my window:cry:
I didn't use any rooting hormones. Now, I regret it. I hope I'll have more luck with my white roses! The cuttings already developed a few leaves, so I'm an optimist:D

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I didn't use any rooting hormones. Now, I regret it. I hope I'll have more luck with my white roses! The cuttings already developed a few leaves, so I'm an optimist:D

As I had been wondering how your rose was doing I've been keeping an eye out for news of it - so am really sorry to hear that it didn't work - especially as it was such a gorgeous rose :)

Unfortunately as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts - store bought roses that have then been displayed in a vase - very rarely take - even if you do everything correctly - which I know for sure you did.

However - I can assure you that using rooting hormone wouldn't have made any difference either - as it is rarely used to propagate roses - as they actually don't need it - because most roses contain a substance called auxin - which is their own natural rooting hormone - which means that - if you then overload it by adding extra synthetic rooting hormone - it often causes the cutting to fail.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As I had been wondering how your rose was doing I've been keeping an eye out for news of it - so am really sorry to hear that it didn't work - especially as it was such a gorgeous rose :)

Unfortunately as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts - store bought roses that have then been displayed in a vase - very rarely take - even if you do everything correctly - which I know for sure you did.

However - I can assure you that using rooting hormone wouldn't have made any difference either - as it is rarely used to propagate roses - as they actually don't need it - because most roses contain a substance called auxin - which is their own natural rooting hormone - which means that - if you then overload it by adding extra synthetic rooting hormone - it often causes the cutting to fail.
Thank you for this information, it's really interesting! Now, I don't feel so guilty for not using any rooting hormones:) I haven't heard of auxin before.
I decided to try something new with cuttings from my white roses. My mother had told me to put them in water. I did it and they quickly developed a few leaves. When they grow a little bigger, I'll put the cuttings in the soil:)

Reaction score
Oh, so sorry to hear that :( I'm sure that rose would have been a wonderful addition to your garden :) Maybe the next time you try it you will succeed :)

I have never tried rooting a rose before, but if my boyfriend ever cuts a fresh rose for me I will surely try it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, so sorry to hear that :( I'm sure that rose would have been a wonderful addition to your garden :) Maybe the next time you try it you will succeed :)

I have never tried rooting a rose before, but if my boyfriend ever cuts a fresh rose for me I will surely try it :)
I can say from my own experience that it's much easier to root a cutting from a miniature rose than from a regular rose. I won't give up though! I really want to root my white roses (I posted a few pictures of them here: https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/white-roses-are-the-most-beautiful-roses.2238/). I have 5 cuttings. All of them are still green, so I hope it will be a success:)

Reaction score
Yeah, I supposed that miniatures were easier to root, but I wasn't sure if that was a fact. Glad to have an expert in roses here ;) who cleared this up :) Best of luck with those cuttings, I checked the out again... they're so beautiful!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Thank you for this information, it's really interesting! Now, I don't feel so guilty for not using any rooting hormones:) I haven't heard of auxin before.
I decided to try something new with cuttings from my white roses. My mother had told me to put them in water. I did it and they quickly developed a few leaves. When they grow a little bigger, I'll put the cuttings in the soil:)

My pleasure and am pleased that you found the information helpful - especially as not many people are aware that some roses contain their own natural rooting compound and therefore by adding extra artificial rooting hormone it normally inhibits growth.

However I would just say that it might be best not to get too excited yet - as propagating roses in water is not normally very successful and although there a few varieties that may do so - most do not and although you are seeing signs that look like they are starting to root - the new growth is normally just from the stored energy left in the canes.

Although I'm more than sure that I've mentioned this before - roses are known to be one of the easiest plants to propagate and all roses regardless of type are easy to propagate - if done correctly and at the right time of year and it is only some of the newer hybrid tea and grandiflora roses that prove to be a little more difficult and because of that are normally propagated by grafting - instead of stem cuttings :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My pleasure and am pleased that you found the information helpful - especially as not many people are aware that some roses contain their own natural rooting compound and therefore by adding extra artificial rooting hormone it normally inhibits growth.

However I would just say that it might be best not to get too excited yet - as propagating roses in water is not normally very successful and although there a few varieties that may do so - most do not and although you are seeing signs that look like they are starting to root - the new growth is normally just from the stored energy left in the canes.

Although I'm more than sure that I've mentioned this before - roses are known to be one of the easiest plants to propagate and all roses regardless of type are easy to propagate - if done correctly and at the right time of year and it is only some of the newer hybrid tea and grandiflora roses that prove to be a little more difficult and because of that are normally propagated by grafting - instead of stem cuttings :)
I keep my cuttings in water only because this method worked for my mother more than once. As soon as they grow a little bigger, I'll plant them in soil. For now, they seem to be really strong. I want them to turn into a beautiful rose bush so badly!:D If it won't be a success, I'll encourage my boyfriend to buy me more roses:)

Reaction score
I keep my cuttings in water only because this method worked for my mother more than once. As soon as they grow a little bigger, I'll plant them in soil. For now, they seem to be really strong. I want them to turn into a beautiful rose bush so badly!:D If it won't be a success, I'll encourage my boyfriend to buy me more roses:)
I know you do and I can fully appreciate why - especially as its a particularly pretty rose and although I've already mentioned that only a few varieties of roses can be propagated this way - I sincerely hope that what you have is one of them and that soon you will have the makings of a very attractive little rose bush - which of course I will be looking out for news of :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know you do and I can fully appreciate why - especially as its a particularly pretty rose and although I've already mentioned that only a few varieties of roses can be propagated this way - I sincerely hope that what you have is one of them and that soon you will have the makings of a very attractive little rose bush - which of course I will be looking out for news of :)
I will keep you posted:)
My white rose is very special to me, because I cherish the memory of the day when I received it:) It was such a romantic moment!
A rose bush would make a lovely token of remembrance:love::D

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
This rose has such a striking color! It captivates the viewer.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question