More Air

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was worried about my soil staying too wet using Vermiculite.

But was reading getting Grey Matter going. Main trouble with plants is compacted soil. It can be very wet but long as it can get air it will be ok.

Also reading Vermiculite and Perlite work differently. Vermiculite holds water, Perlite don't hold as much is more for drainage.

My soil is loose with just Vermiculite but I'm going to start mixing 50/50 Vermiculite and Perlite.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is why I don't do container gardening, too much work and money wasted.

There's a third option....Organic matter, which build soil life, leading to soil aggregates -- nature's water holding/draining system.

healthy soil is a sponge

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This video gives a good visualization of healthy soil aggregates on the right side compared to abused soil on the left. Notice the compaction that happens with the soil on the left, which leads to anaerobic conditions that is a root killer.

No money needs to be spent, there are countless organisms just needing habitat to create this soil. All you have to do is feed them the stuff people send to the landfills -- they're not picky eaters:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only use I have for perlite is in seed a starting mix. Brown organic matter for everything else.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This video gives a good visualization of healthy soil aggregates on the right side compared to abused soil on the left. Notice the compaction that happens with the soil on the left, which leads to anaerobic conditions that is a root killer.

No money needs to be spent, there are countless organisms just needing habitat to create this soil. All you have to do is feed them the stuff people send to the landfills -- they're not picky eaters:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The right looks like what I have been mixing up. Plants love it.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was worried about my soil staying too wet using Vermiculite.

But was reading getting Grey Matter going. Main trouble with plants is compacted soil. It can be very wet but long as it can get air it will be ok.

Also reading Vermiculite and Perlite work differently. Vermiculite holds water, Perlite don't hold as much is more for drainage.

My soil is loose with just Vermiculite but I'm going to start mixing 50/50 Vermiculite and Perlite.

big rockpile

Best use of your 50\50 mix is add portland and make those lightweight pots. Use vermiculite above ground or you will be too wet most of the time. Vermiculite in a hole hinders drainage. Ask me how I know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Best use of your 50\50 mix is add portland and make those lightweight pots. Use vermiculite above ground or you will be too wet most of the time. Vermiculite in a hole hinders drainage. Ask me how I know.
Been using it in Pots. It works but seems to hold water for a long time so I need to change something.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Organic matter keeps soil from compacting, it keeps it airy.
Been mixing

1 part Peat Moss

1 part Vermiculite

1 part Compost

1 part Top Soil

And use Rainbow Pro Mix Grow. Fertilizer and Lime.

Seems I need more Potassium and like I say the Vermiculite is holding water.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So far they like but my Root Crops don't produce that's why I'm thinking Potassium.

big rockpile
Vermiculite is a medium. Depending on what other magic mushrooms you add to it the water retention changes. The problem is mass. If water is retained then the mass is retained and since that water contains chemical nutrients there is now more surrounding a root and the question becomes is it too much love?

I say that because in hydro it can be 100% vermiculite as it is never used as a nutrient. It will retain moisture which allows a lower power bill because you do not have to run the pumps as often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Organic matter keeps soil from compacting, it keeps it airy.
So I'm going to use Self Watering on some plants.

If I don't use Vermiculite or Perlite it should soak up water better.

Well right now not able to go 100% without them but I can mix up two batches not using them and divide it with what I have.

If I reuse this soil put one part Compost in it and Fertilizer. So in long run it would have less Vermiculite or Perlite.

Always willing to try something different.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only use I have for perlite is in seed a starting mix. Brown organic matter for everything else.
Well mixed up some without Perlite or Vermiculite. Did use more Compost.

Feels real good. Hopping my plants like it.

My Son took some Soil I bought. It has so much clay soon as rain hits it gets solid and water runs off.

He put it in Tires planted some Rubarb and Peppers. I told him it wouldn't work because it is the worst Soil I've ever seen.

He went took the plants out and mixed in some Compost.

He told me Dad them plants actually looked happy.

big rockpile

Ask a Question