Moon gardens

Reaction score
I was passing by a home with a lovely moon garden last night.. No, the moon wasn't big.. but the light was enough to make those lovely, silvery- white leaves look ethereal.The white bougainvillea in full bloom looked so amazing. The night queen and jasmines were competing with each other with their fragrance.
Does anyone have a moon garden?

Moon-garden.jpg

moon-garden-farm2.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aww, I thought this one was going to involve bio domes & hydroponics & space rockets:D

Reaction score
My first thought was that this would only suit people who had acres of space. But you know, I started thinking of my neighbour, a commuter who's always out of the house for 12 hours a day - and he loves his garden, he really does, but he really doesn't get to see it in daylight all that much. If the planting was focussed on making it look good after dark, as well as during the day, that would be really something. And scented flowers would be good too, for that.

Mind you, gardening on the moon, that would be great as well :) I can definitely see us gardening on Mars some time in the next 200 years!

Jed

Reaction score
I took the challenge for a photo in this thread. Though not a very big moon, the pic shows challenges for a forest garden. Here's a raspberry plant with potatoes growing in the background inside one of my animal proof cages under the canopy of the forest at twilight. The moon can just be seen through chicken wire. :confused:

320953_501756056542924_1220848687_n.jpg

Reaction score
@ Zigs.. Planting on the moon would be really challenging... maybe someday!
@ Jed, Those silvery backed leaves should look pretty if there is a gentle breeze blowing through,,, I was on the terrace last night and watching the eucalyptus leaves shaking and shimmering in the moonlight.. the flowers had a mild and delicate smell unlike the eucalyptus oil. The white musanda and silver oaks in the next apartment block looked lovely too.. I am sure that when I have a piece of land/terrace to have my own garden I will may sure that it looks pretty in the night as well.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its nice to see fruiting plants when everything here is frozen:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
A raspberry plant! I love raspberries! I miss them so much...they look delicious:D
I've never heard about moon gardens before. The idea of it sounds very romantic:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maddie, I love it, it looks magical. I would never think a garden in which only white flowers grow can look so wonderful.
I would put there a delicate bench like this:

hoar_moon_garden_01.jpg

Reaction score
That looks so pretty Claudine.. I really wish I had some space..I would love a garden with white lavender and pale pink flowers.. they would be bright enough at day and lovely at night..
The only problem with such a garden would be that I would never get into my home and do the rest of the work there :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sure I'd have the same problem:p
I've never thought before about gardens where all the flowers are in the same color. I think it's a wonderful idea...but I'm not sure if I'd be able to choose only one color, they're all so lovely. I know I really like these white tulips:)

Jed

Reaction score
A raspberry plant! I love raspberries! I miss them so much...they look delicious:D
:)
It's amazing that we have so many raspberries this year.Pity I can't send you some.They have been the best crop ever.
Having dry hot summer certainly brings out the flavours of vegetables, fruit and herbs.

Ask a Question