Monstera Adasonii black dots

Reaction score
Country
Australia
A2A092C7-1BFD-4AEA-8179-D2F15FEE4AF6.jpeg

Hi. I've received this Sunday with these black dots on the leaves. I thought it was bc of overwatering so I gave 5 days without watering but it does not seem getting any better.

Could someone tell me why it has these spots and what I should do?
and also would it be too risky to repot it now to give better soil?

Please help I got too paranoid as this is my first plant

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
I haven’t had one of these but I do know it does not like alot/much direct sunlight, does not like the cold, overwatering can cause root rot, it shouldn’t dry out completely, slightly damp is ok.
Less watering in the Winter. Misting the plant daily fakes humidity. It’s tropical.
I don’t know if you need it, but if you ever repot and see blackish roots, gently cut those roots away.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I haven’t had one of these but I do know it does not like alot/much direct sunlight, does not like the cold, overwatering can cause root rot, it shouldn’t dry out completely, slightly damp is ok.
Less watering in the Winter. Misting the plant daily fakes humidity. It’s tropical.
I don’t know if you need it, but if you ever repot and see blackish roots, gently cut those roots away.

Thank you for the reply. Do you think then it'd be helpful to leave this plant in my shower as it's the most humid and warm place in my apt? (atm it's winter here) I just misted the leaves and the top soil with the shower head for few seconds. I was thinking of repoting just to check the root & give new soil and to put it in a clay pot instead of plastic. Any opinion regarding this will be much helpful. Thanks again!

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
This might help you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like you transplanted your plant into a very large container. If that's the case you are not getting enough oxygen in the roots. Water it thoroughly as soon as the top inch of soil feels dry, but the soil below that will stay moist. Your plant grows best in indirect sunlight. If it's in a spot with direct light, limit it to just 2 to 3 hours of early morning sun. Direct intense sun can can cause brown spots on the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This might help you.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It looks like you transplanted your plant into a very large container. If that's the case you are not getting enough oxygen in the roots. Water it thoroughly as soon as the top inch of soil feels dry, but the soil below that will stay moist. Your plant grows best in indirect sunlight. If it's in a spot with direct light, limit it to just 2 to 3 hours of early morning sun. Direct intense sun can can cause brown spots on the leaves.
I'm not sure if that's the case as it's in only 120mm size pot. The horti from the nursery said it could be the root rot, so I repotted it and didn't compact or water the soil yet until today. But I saw your comment so I watered them thoroughly and put it under the indirect sunlight. Hope it gets better. I really don't want to kill this : ( anyway thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 64082

Hi. I've received this Sunday with these black dots on the leaves. I thought it was bc of overwatering so I gave 5 days without watering but it does not seem getting any better.

Could someone tell me why it has these spots and what I should do?
and also would it be too risky to repot it now to give better soil?

Please help I got too paranoid as this is my first plant

Aside from the spots this seems to be a pretty healthy plant. These don’t form splits in the leaves unless they are doing well, so it’s likely a problem with the light, not the roots.
If your bathroom has a window I would definitely recommend that as a good space for it. Repotting it in a clay pot can help it to stay more moist, since the pot is porous and will hold water for quite a while. Mine is in a glazed pot, but I’ve noticed that the smaller one that I have is doing a bit better in the clay pot I planted it in. Also, if you have it near a window it may be getting too cold with the fluctuating temps, and if it goes through a lot of periods of up and down temperatures or drafts it may shock the system, causing that.
Either way, I think that moving it to a lower light location and upping the humidity and temp around it should help to combat this. When you get more growth you may consider trimming off those leaves that have spots, since these usually like to be cut back every couple years. It even trains them in the direction to grow. Also, if you don’t have one, you should put something in your plant to let it grow up on (moss pole/trellis).
Best of luck!

Ask a Question