Advice about monstera plant

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Hello! I’m looking for advice on what to do with an inherited monstera plant I got from a friend. I went to repot it, and the one plant that was dying has been separated and currently in water in hopes that it will grow a stronger root system. This is the other plant. Roots seem ok, but the main stem is so far from the leaves (it only has four good leaves). Should I cut it down and try to grow new roots, or just pot it as is even though it looks strangely tall... what would you do? Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• 4AC780BF-FA20-4D87-8EBF-68054AD641D7.jpeg
    4AC780BF-FA20-4D87-8EBF-68054AD641D7.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 8AB0D016-B03A-4F15-8ABD-731C65602D6B.jpeg
    8AB0D016-B03A-4F15-8ABD-731C65602D6B.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 132
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would plant them in a peat based soil but make sure you don't add too much soil on the top of the roots. Adding too much soil on top would keep the roots wet longer and cause a fugus. Bring the soil just barely below the root flair and that way the plant can have oxygen and water too. Get the plant healthy before making any major pruning cuts. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there!
Congrats on the monstera. It looks like a borsigiana, so it is going to be a climber. The leaves shouldn't become too overwhelmingly large, and you can train it to grow in a very attractive way.
I personally would plant it in a chunky soil mix similar to what it might get in the wild. I can help you with advice on that if you would like.
I would without a doubt give this plant a pole, post, stick, moss pole, board, something that it can climb, as it would climb a tree in nature. For starters you attach the plant to the pole. It can then use less energy supporting itself which it is not intended to do. The extra energy can then go towards beautiful foliage and larger leaves. You will see a nice change. Soon it will attach itself, literally grabbing hold with air roots that will focus on pulling moisture from the air. Growth will get faster, also. Moss poles are the industry norm. They can easily be made or bought. But the moss is not essential for success. Just give it something for support, nice light (some say they are low light, it will thrive in better than low light), well draining soil, occasionally fertilize once it's happy, and it will be a beautiful plant for a long time!

Ask a Question