Money Tree - Growing too Spindly - How Radically can i Prune Back?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a perfectly healthy money tree (see pics). It was a gift with 5 trees when I got it. By the time I got good at caring for it, 4 of the little trees had died. Now I have this one. However, its growing too tall and spindly. I can't put it outside as i don't live in the correct temperature zones (too cold here).

I would like to cut it back radically, maybe even somewhere below the lowest leaflets, maybe at the main stalk. The hope is that it will regrow more compact and i can do a better job of pruning it than i had before.

I would be grateful for any advice on how to prune back and care for my single-stalk money tree so that i can give it a new lease on life. Thanks

IMG_1636.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
It appears no one has answered? I will try.
It takes a great deal of training under very healthy circumstances to keep these trees small in stature. They want to be true trees, the last I gave away due to space issues was kept around 5 feet tall, with pruning to maintain that height. Seeing you do not have many leaves, and hearing you have recently gained an understanding of this plant, and with the growing season reaching a slow down time of year, it is a dilemma. I believe I would only trim if I absolutely had to trim. And I would just enjoy my healthy tree. If it is happy indeed it will begin throwing lots of new growth. You might find you enjoy the plant being a bit taller than what it is doing. I know garden centers are always selling braided (yuck) trees that are miniature in appearance, they are indeed trees with every intention of growing tall!

Ask a Question