Money plant going crooked

Reaction score
Country
United States
so I rescued this plant and he seems to be thriving. The only thing is it won’t grow straight up.
He’s leaning too much. I’ve tried positioning it under the grow light so it would reach for the light.. I’ve put stakes and now I’ve added little stakes to the branch. Nothing! I’m sure it’s me and I’m doing something wrong. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_3994.jpeg
    IMG_3994.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3997.jpeg
    IMG_3997.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3998.jpeg
    IMG_3998.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 3

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here's some advice:
Rotate Regularly Turn the plant a quarter every few days for balanced light exposure.

Adjust Light Source Make sure the grow light is directly above or evenly around the plant.

Check for Drafts Avoid placing the plant near drafty areas.

Pruning Trim the leaning side to encourage more upright growth.

Support with Stakes Use stakes and soft ties to gently guide the plant upright.

Healthy Roots Ensure the plant isn't root-bound and has good soil.

Patience It takes time for plants to adjust. Keep up your care and the plant should gradually grow more upright.

Remember, a bit of leaning is normal for many plants, especially if they're healthy and thriving.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You need a stiffer stake.
One of the issues indoor plants have is that there is very little air movement indoors. Without the “stress” of being blown about, the stems never harden up and produce wood. That leads to weak stems that can’t hold up vigorous growth. A small fan set on low that oscillates can provide the air movement that will strengthen the trunk. It shouldn’t be real close to the plant and blow things around, just a very gentle breeze. If you can hear the leaves rustling from across the room it needs to be farther away or smaller.
Another option is to cut the top 8-10” off to remove that weight.

Reaction score
Country
India
It's great to hear that you rescued the money plant, and it's thriving! Sometimes, plants have a mind of their own when it comes to growing straight up. Here are a few suggestions:
1. Check the pot: Ensure it's stable and not top-heavy, causing the plant to lean.
2. Rotate the pot: Turn it periodically to encourage balanced growth.
3. Pruning: Consider trimming longer branches to promote more upright growth.
For more plant-care tips, you can explore resources at https://aggressivelyorganic.com/. Remember, it's all part of the plant parenting journey. Keep experimenting, and your money plant will thrive.

Ask a Question