Manx Marvel Tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, you called? I'm a new member as of today and have to start somewhere so it might as well be here. :) I apologise if I offend anyone but bare with me while I make a couple of corrections to the information on the island.

My caravan is approx. 22 miles NE of the Isle of Man.

Is your caravan in Scotland headfullofbees?

. It's part of the UK but not of England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland. It's a Crown Dependency, has its own government and its own currency. It has the oldest continuous parliament in the world.

The island isn't part of the United Kingdom but part of the British Isles and owned by the crown, it is not a member of the European Union either. It is semi-independent and has it's own government as Bootsy has said.

It's about 15 miles from Scotland and 30 miles from England.

It's approximately 60 miles from England and a similar distance from Ireland.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hi Sheal,

I know that residents are, quite rightly, very proud of their status and I hope I didn't offend you.

Apologies for the U.K. bit ;) I was a bit lax in my definition. As you say, it's a Crown Dependency which was purchased by the British government, originally, in 1765 and the rest of the rights were bought in 1828 from the Duke of Atholl's family. I never did quite work out how it became Crown property when Parliament purchased it. :unsure:

The distances that I quoted were not from points of 'civilisation' but from nearest points of land. The measurement of the distance from Point of Ayre (Isle of Man) to St Bee's Head (Cumbria), on the Ordinance Survey map, is approx. 30 miles. Not that I think anyone has every bothered to travel between those two points :D but I have waved to you from St Bee's Head! :LOL:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums Sheal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the welcome all. :)

Bootsy, the facts about the island can be a bit sketchy even for those of us that live here. That said both the Manx and 'stopovers', a local term for those of us who have adopted the island are very patriotic like the Irish and our American friends. The Manx flag is flown all over the island.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What do you know... first bright and sunny and warm. I was just about to start my Manx Marvels when :eek: It has been raining and this morning there was rain and snow for two days.:mad: Guess I'm still waiting....:cry:

@zigs, didn't you say you were going to post care instructions here? I can't seem to find it. :confused: Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, your my only hope.:notworthy: I am such a geek. :ROFLMAO:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@zigs, didn't you say you were going to post care instructions here? I can't seem to find it. :confused: Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, your my only hope.:notworthy: I am such a geek. :ROFLMAO:

It got lost at the begining of this thread, Seems like they grow best as a cordon rather than a bush. Prefer growing outside rather than a greenhouse.

But start them off indoors/greenhouse until you know night temperatures won't drop below 10c/50f :)

Hope this helps my young padawan :)

Steve Randles

Chief Beverage Officer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Mr Zigs,

As I live within spitting distance of the IoM, and on a clear day I can see it from here in Cumbria, could you let me have some seeds for next year if you have spares of course. I would love to try this one outdoors here in my garden and on our allotment plots.

Steve...:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hi Steve, (y)

If Zigs gets any early ones ripening (don't know what stage he's at) and they're ready when he comes this way, I can bring them when I'm up there. There's an outside chance that if they're ready you may get a crop this year (started in your tunnel). :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Course you can Steve :)

I've got some plants you can have too, via the Bootsy relay :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score