Mango tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
No it is not white. Its kina redish, brownish... I dnno. Kina like that. Are they dead or there's still some hope for them to survive this situation? What link do you mean?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
No. None of them look like mine. So the problem was watering? The roots are dead du to over watering? You mean replanting won't help them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No. None of them look like mine. So the problem was watering? The roots are dead du to over watering? You mean replanting won't help them?
Go ahead and replant. I might be wrong but I doubt it. Over watering is the number one cause of plant death world wide. People insist on watering just because the top of the soil is dry. They don't realize that the roots are 3+ inches deep and the soil may be damp there. Also, many times the container may not have enough drainage holes. The water stays in the bottom of the container while the top is dry. As I said before in this thread, your climate is not really all that great for a mango. Let this be a learning experience and try again. But, if you didn't learn everything remember this: You cannot give a plant too much water but you can and will kill a plant by giving it water too often. There is no such thing as a calendar schedule for watering a plant. You only water when the plant needs watering and experience is the only way to learn when a plant needs water.
You said earlier that you used regular dirt as your growing medium. Next time make your own out of composted leaves, weeds, grass, anything that grows and mix this with your native soil. Get some 20%-40% shade cloth or netting and make them an area more suitable for mangos.
Make your own fertilizer. When you buy fertilizer you really never know what is in it nor how much.
Don't get discouraged either. I am 72 years old and I would bet money that I have killed more plants than most folks on this forum have ever grown but I learned something each time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Thank you an ocean Chuck. It is really nice of you. You are really helpful and also a great teacher. Thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Hi. You were absolutely right. All of them died. I want to grow new mangoes from seeds. But would you please tell me which one is better? To let the seeds germinate in plastic bags and plant them into the soil like what I did the first time or put the seeds into the soil and let them germinate and grow? Which way is better and produces a stronger plant? Which way is faster to have a mango seedling? And if it's better to plant the seed directly into the soil and let it germinate and grow, how much water is needed during the germination until it gets out of the soil? How deep should I put the seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Neither of the two ways of germinating the seed makes for a stronger plant. It is just easier to germinate in a plastic bag. It may also be a little faster. When planting in soil the amount of water is UNKNOWN. Just keep the soil damp. Remember, there is NO set amount of water nor is there a set time to water. You only water when the soil or plant needs it. Forget about the number of days between watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Hi Chuck. I planted a new mango. It was going well until its leaves started to change color and form and the newest leaves fell off. Here are some pictures of the leaves. This time I was really careful about watering and fertilizing. Would you please help me again and tell me what is going on with the leaves? It's really nice of you.

Attachments

• _20191213_141443.JPG
    _20191213_141443.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 113
  • _20191213_160603.JPG
    _20191213_160603.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 96
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck. I planted a new mango. It was going well until its leaves started to change color and form and the newest leaves fell off. Here are some pictures of the leaves. This time I was really careful about watering and fertilizing. Would you please help me again and tell me what is going on with the leaves? It's really nice of you.
What exactly are you fertilizing with and how often, how much are you watering? The pictures look like fertilizer burn or excessive watering. Do the leaves become brown and crispy before falling off?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
You know I haven't used any fertilizer yet. As you have already told me, I water it when it needs. I keep it damp but not wet. The fallen leaves didn't get brown but dark green. They fell half dry and crispy but almost half of the leaf was green and droopy not crispy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You know I haven't used any fertilizer yet. As you have already told me, I water it when it needs. I keep it damp but not wet. The fallen leaves didn't get brown but dark green. They fell half dry and crispy but almost half of the leaf was green and droopy not crispy.
You seem to be doing things correctly. As I am sure you know a Mango is a TROPICAL plant. It grows best in a high humidity enviornment and doesn't like high temps. IIRC you said that there were mangos growing where you are located. I would go talk to some of the workers there and find out what they do.

Dark green leaves are what a mango should have. The leaves in the picture seem to be a bit yellowish which means chlorosis, either a lack of iron or nitrogen or both. I would give it another week or so and see if the yellowing gets worse. If it does then that is your answer, either a lack of iron or nitrogen or both

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
They were dark green before then they got yellowish. Is it good to add a table spoon of iron chip to the soil? Or some dark sand is better?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They were dark green before then they got yellowish. Is it good to add a table spoon of iron chip to the soil? Or some dark sand is better?
I don't know what iron chip is nor dark sand. I know what iron chelate is and greensand. Putting iron filings or rust or nails into the soil will do nothing and neither will just regular dark colored sand.
If the leaves were dark green and turned yellowish it is probably chlorosis. What is the Ph of your soil?

Ask a Question