Mango tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Hi. I have a very young mango seedling in a pot. It is about 3 weeks old. I grew it from a seed in a plastic bag. The 5th day after being planted in the pot, when all its leaves and stem had become green, the leaves became droopy and after 5 days then, they became dry but they did not fall off. Now it looks like the attached picture. A green stem with no leaves. Is it still alive? Is there any possibility to have it survived and well again? It is worth mentioning that when the leaves became droopy, I put the pot in direct sunlight out doors where the temperature was 25 to 45. Really hot and dry weather. I thought the droopy leaves were due to lack of sunlight and over watering, so I did that. I watered it every 2 days but it didn't work. Would you help me please. The soil is normal garden soil that absorb water well and remains wet for at least three days outdoors.

Attachments

• DSC_3875~2.JPG
    DSC_3875~2.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 158
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi. I have a very young mango seedling in a pot. It is about 3 weeks old. I grew it from a seed in a plastic bag. The 5th day after being planted in the pot, when all its leaves and stem had become green, the leaves became droopy and after 5 days then, they became dry but they did not fall off. Now it looks like the attached picture. A green stem with no leaves. Is it still alive? Is there any possibility to have it survived and well again? It is worth mentioning that when the leaves became droopy, I put the pot in direct sunlight out doors where the temperature was 25 to 45. Really hot and dry weather. I thought the droopy leaves were due to lack of sunlight and over watering, so I did that. I watered it every 2 days but it didn't work. Would you help me please. The soil is normal garden soil that absorb water well and remains wet for at least three days outdoors.
I probably is still alive but sticking it into direct sun and heat you gave it severe transplant shock. Also that black ring around the trunk is not a good sign. If it survives you should see new leaves starting to emerge within a couple of weeks. If the black areas start to get larger it will probably not survive as it probably has root rot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Thank you for your kind reply. Today I saw a new sprout. Down to the bottom. You can see it in the picture. What should I to make sure that it stays alive and gets strong enough to survive? Should I cut the old stem above or below the dark ring? Should I keep it indoors within 25 to 30 degrees avoiding direct sunlight or should I open the window to have direct sunlight in the same temperature? Another thing, I have two other mango seeds in a plastic bag. They have started germinating and sprouting as well. You can see the picture to see how they look. When should I plant them in the soil? When is the best time to do it to have a well healthy tree? I don't want to make the same mistakes that I did with the first one. Thank you sincerely for your kind and heartwarming helps and replies and sorry for being too long at words
DSC_3880~2.JPG
DSC_3877~2.JPG
DSC_3878~2.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for your kind reply. Today I saw a new sprout. Down to the bottom. You can see it in the picture. What should I to make sure that it stays alive and gets strong enough to survive? Should I cut the old stem above or below the dark ring? Should I keep it indoors within 25 to 30 degrees avoiding direct sunlight or should I open the window to have direct sunlight in the same temperature? Another thing, I have two other mango seeds in a plastic bag. They have started germinating and sprouting as well. You can see the picture to see how they look. When should I plant them in the soil? When is the best time to do it to have a well healthy tree? I don't want to make the same mistakes that I did with the first one. Thank you sincerely for your kind and heartwarming helps and replies and sorry for being too long at wordsView attachment 56556View attachment 56554View attachment 56555
Cut it off below the rotted spot. Give it morning full sun and partial shade in the afternoons. Keep the soil damp but not wet. Do this by watering with a spray bottle. In about a month you can pour water into the pot. Start your other two seedlings in small containers. It is much easier to maintain the proper moisture content in a small container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cut it off below the rotted spot. Give it morning full sun and partial shade in the afternoons. Keep the soil damp but not wet. Do this by watering with a spray bottle. In about a month you can pour water into the pot. Start your other two seedlings in small containers. It is much easier to maintain the proper moisture content in a small container.
Plant the two other seedlings as soon as they germinate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Thank alot. I sure do that right away. About other two seedlings, By as soon as it germinates you mean now or should I wait until the main leaves and the trunk comes upward?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank alot. I sure do that right away. About other two seedlings, By as soon as it germinates you mean now or should I wait until the main leaves and the trunk comes upward?
Now. When a seed germinates the first thing that happens is the beginning of the roots. The stalk and leaves start a short time later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
So it is already late. They have about 2-inch roots and about half an inch stalks between the lobes. How deep should I put them into the soil? Should I cover the whole thing including the fresh white stalks? I planted the former when it had a 3-inch red stalk and red leaves. By the way, thank you for your kind and helpful information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So it is already late. They have about 2-inch roots and about half an inch stalks between the lobes. How deep should I put them into the soil? Should I cover the whole thing including the fresh white stalks? I planted the former when it had a 3-inch red stalk and red leaves. By the way, thank you for your kind and helpful information.
No it is not too late. It would have been better to plant the sprouted seeds earlier but now is not too late. Go ahead and plant them with the red part just barely above the soil and keep them out of the afternoon sun. Keep them moist but not wet. Do not fertilize yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Hi Chuck. Thank you for your kind help. I really appreciate it. That was really nice of you. I have some other questions as well. I hope you dont mind. Now that I have planted the new seedlings they're about an inch tall and the previous one is about 2 inches. When do they need fertilizer? What kind of fertilizer shall I use? I have organic cow, sheep and hen fertilizers and also some kinds of chemical fertilizers for indoor plants. Which one is the best, when is the best time and how often do they need fertilizer? It is worth mentioning that I keep them indoors in front of window. They recieve about 8 hours of sunlight through a shaded glass. The glass lets about ot 40 to 50 percent of the light in. The temperature ranges from 20 to 30 degrees and humidity is almost 30 percent. Would please tell me if their current condition is great, good, fair enough, acceptable, not too bad or what, and what I shold do to make it perfect? I'm really sorry for asking too many questions

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Another question, and I am really sorry for asking too many questions. We have some feilds here for local trees and we water them through flood irrigation every 30 to 40 days. The temperature ranges from _2 to 25 degrees in cold seasons and 25 to 45 in hot seasons. There's almost no rainfall, about 3 to 10 short showers a year. The water comes from really deep wells and it is salt water. The soil is dry too. You can call it desert. Can mangoes survive and even bear fruit in this situation? What is the minimal surviving situation for them?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck. Thank you for your kind help. I really appreciate it. That was really nice of you. I have some other questions as well. I hope you dont mind. Now that I have planted the new seedlings they're about an inch tall and the previous one is about 2 inches. When do they need fertilizer? What kind of fertilizer shall I use? I have organic cow, sheep and hen fertilizers and also some kinds of chemical fertilizers for indoor plants. Which one is the best, when is the best time and how often do they need fertilizer? It is worth mentioning that I keep them indoors in front of window. They recieve about 8 hours of sunlight through a shaded glass. The glass lets about ot 40 to 50 percent of the light in. The temperature ranges from 20 to 30 degrees and humidity is almost 30 percent. Would please tell me if their current condition is great, good, fair enough, acceptable, not too bad or what, and what I shold do to make it perfect? I'm really sorry for asking too many questions
Mangos need at least 6 hours of DIRECT SUNLIGHT. Preferably more. They are tropical trees and like humidity. If the temperature drops below about 4.5C it will severely damage any production. Anything below 1C will severely damage or kill the tree. They must be kept moist. Personally, I don't think your climate will allow you to grow them with any degree of success.

The best fertilizer would be a mixture of them all but, make sure it is well composted. Otherwise I think it would be chicken, then cow, then sheep. I don't know if the tree will survive with your type of well water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
Mangos need at least 6 hours of DIRECT SUNLIGHT. Preferably more. They are tropical trees and like humidity. If the temperature drops below about 4.5C it will severely damage any production. Anything below 1C will severely damage or kill the tree. They must be kept moist. Personally, I don't think your climate will allow you to grow them with any degree of success.

The best fertilizer would be a mixture of them all but, make sure it is well composted. Otherwise I think it would be chicken, then cow, then sheep. I don't know if the tree will survive with your type of well water.
So I can't grow them in our fields. You didn't mention when to start using fertilizer for the seedlings I have in my flat. Two of them were planted in the soil 5 days ago and the other one was planted about three weeks ago and it was almost dead that and then started to grow again a week ago. We have plenty of hot sun light here, about 13 hours a day, and the temperature is 35 to 48 c these days. I was afraid to put them outdoor because the last time I did that, my plant was almost dead as you said because of the shock it received due to high temperature.

Ask a Question