Mango tree dying - drying/sticky spots.

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
Hello, I have a fairly young mango plant ( about 3 months) and everything was going great. 2 weeks ago in the soil algae started slowly spreading. I thought it was fine because the plant wasn't showing signs of dying. Then 2 days ago it suddenly started drying from the middle in the leaves. Now it has white little spots and the leaves are sticky. To try saving it I have replanted it in new soil. Help.
20210517_134336.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well, you may need a lens magnifier to confirm since they are so small but, if the white spots move, it could be a spider mite infestation. The sticky residue could be honeydew, an excrement that sometimes catches fungal infections and turns dark, like dark green or black.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO what is happening is that your plant is getting way too much water. You say algae is growing in the soil. Algae only grows where it is very wet or in water. The little white specks are probably what is caused by what is known as edema. Edema is where the plant absorbs too much water and the little specks is how the plant gets rid of the excess water. It can be seen as little specks or a crystalline form or little round balls that look like eggs. The brown is what happens to most plants when they are overwatered and will cause leaf drop.

Ask a Question