Making plant cell (including protoplast) media from (mostly) natural ingredients?

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Are there ways to make your own media for growing plants from single cells, such as liquid culture media, from mostly natural ingredients? I am especially interested in formulas in which a plant protoplast cell can survive, which among other things means that the media used at the protoplast stage should not contain ammonia. All formulas I have found on the internet require lots of specialized artificial ingredients, but are there natural alternatives? One or two (maybe three) artificial ingredients are still acceptable, I am thinking of reducing the number of artificial ingredients from a long list to something more manageable. As far as possible, the ingredients should be easy to obtain from gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, making your media for growing plants from single cells using mostly natural ingredients is possible, though it can be challenging. For a plant protoplast to survive, you must ensure the media does not contain ammonia. One approach is to use natural sources of nutrients, such as compost tea, seaweed extract, and diluted coconut water. These can provide essential vitamins and minerals. You might also consider using agar-agar, a natural gelling agent, to create a solid medium. While most recipes you find online require specialized artificial ingredients, reducing these to one or two, like a minimal amount of plant hormones or vitamins, can be a more manageable approach. Easy-to-obtain gardening ingredients like compost, seaweed, and coconut water can help create a more natural culture medium. Alternatively, if growing from single cells proves too difficult, artificial plants are a hassle-free backup option for maintaining greenery.

Ask a Question