Making Plant paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! So I'm not exactly a gardener, but in need of some gardening advice. I am doing an art project making my own paper and one of the things I want to do is embed seeds into the sheets so I can plant it and nice things can grow from it, my only issue is that I don't know what seeds to use! I need relatively small seeds that can grow pretty quickly and easily- it is winter here in the UK so they will probably have to be able to grow inside. I have a deadline in just over a month so anything that can grow within that time would be good. Most of my research suggested wildflowers but they are too seasonal and wouldn't grow in time, was also considering going with some classic salad cress as that usually grows very quickly. If anyone has any other suggestions for seeds it would be greatly appreciated :)

https://www.lifegate.com/newspaper-becomes-a-plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You could use tomato seeds which will take a couple of weeks to germinate. If you can provide some bottom heat they will grow a lot quicker. Unless they are under grow lights they will grow quite leggy (long stems) as there is not enough good light this time of year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Use an easily penetrable paper like toilet paper. I 'd suggest radish seed, lettuce seed, or basil seed, which all germinate quickly and will grow in the time frame you have.

Ask a Question