Making a planter from plastic bottles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have noticed that you can make an interesting planter from just about any container laying around the house , if you are creative enough. I was looking at a picture of planters made from milk jugs, and they were planted with lettuce and cucumbers and other small veggies. Instead of using them standing up, they turned the bottles on their side, and then cut an opening in the side (now the top) of the milk jug. They have more room for roots to expand this way, and they even look prettier.
I wanted to post the milk jug picture here, but , of course, I can't find it again. However, I did find this interesting picture of plastic pop bottles used as planters, and this person attached them to the wall, so they are at an easy height to take care of. I was thinking that this would be a great way to plant strawberries ! They can hang over the edge, and they would be off the ground so bugs can't eat the berries, and they would be the perfect place to snack on a berry as you walked by, too.
image.jpg

Reaction score
That is a great idea! I would think once the plants fill out & grow you won't be able to see the bottles. Any chance you could send us another picture in a month or so? I've heard of making greenhouses out of plastic bottles but this is so simple, anyone could do it even children could have a go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really love this idea, these are planters made of soda bottles:

k-bigpic.jpg

They look so pretty, don't they?:) And when you grow plants in something like this, you don't have to water them too often.

Reaction score
Nowadays i am also looking for DIY containers.Just made the milk/juice carton containers which happyflowerlady was referring to and i think i had the pic :)
Another way from the pet bottle is to cut it like the pic above and hang it in the upright position.I planted some flowers and hanged them on a tree in my house.
Here is the pic for you happyflowerlady....

215806_139050769602012_578571311_n.jpg

And some more for you to make.......
72825_369961763112501_511264570_n.jpg

fresh_veggies_bottle_garden.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, these are excellent ideas! It's better than buying special containers and pots that's for sure. Why recycle this stuff when you can just reuse it.

I like this, too, because if one plant doesn't do well it might just be isolated to the one bottle. You can easily experiment with different types of soil, amounts of water, locations, etc. all at once to figure out will work best.

Thanks for posting this! This gets me much closer to growing a garden. My funds are severely limited for such things right now so ideas like this will go a long way with me.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like this idea of using the larger bottles on the side. I will be using this for my gardening and starting new plants. We do not drink soda often but we have plenty of milk bottles to be reused.

Ask a Question