alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Zenj

Please do me a favour! What are you ordering. I only want Black Buddha and that's just not enough.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Zenj Ah, I remember seeing free postage over £50. I had 3 items in the basket but was busying watching Belgravia - very slow and petty and single plot drama. And 3 hours of in the heat and sun in the allotment made me forget everything. Now that you said that, no loss there! I really like Scadoxus, but the price is still a bit high.

The only other thing planted in situ in the allotment was the sweetcorn Xtra Sweet, and the butternut squash seeds planted the day before. Moved all the hydrangeas and irises and son placed the water butt in the proper place. Next weekend, we either go there very early or very late as yesterday, I was partly helped by the gentle breeze. Came home at 4pm. Very sad that I had lost all my asparagus seedlings.

There is an article by Monty Don about growing your own veg at this time of crisis. Glad that I bought tons of seeds last year, especially celery, cress, salad mixed and those hundreds of lettuce seeds. I planted my multi-coloured carrots in a 10 or 13L pot, not the tiny crate as demonstrated by Adam Frost! :unsure:

1586149672243.png

Had a peep, not a drop of rain! Lost opportunity!

Some screaming red and yellow tulips from the day before.

SAM_3076.JPG

This is a wonderful red one with maroon markings inside the petals
SAM_3075.JPG
SAM_3074.JPG

This one is a plain red! Very interesting. All the tulips will be dug up and potted up as I need to have room for my cosmos, salvias, penstemons, asters, heleniums ...
SAM_3073.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
1586237770035.png

The minimum temperatures are not that brilliant, with 6 being the lowest in a fortnight. I guess with the day time temperature high enough, there will be residual heat from the day time to warm up my veg seedlings. Sowed some more yesterday. Will gradually move out the daffs and tulips into pots. There simply is no room. Things are still going very slowly, with petunias being the worst!

Ah, snakehead! One and only one so far
SAM_3126.JPG
SAM_3122.JPG
SAM_3121.JPG
SAM_3120.JPG

A lot of ballerinas in the garden!
SAM_3119.JPG
SAM_3118.JPG
SAM_3117.JPG
SAM_3114.JPG
SAM_3113.JPG
SAM_3112.JPG

Wonderful daff!
SAM_3109.JPG

Kick-off
SAM_3108.JPG

My favorite
SAM_3110.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_3125.JPG
    SAM_3125.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_3124.JPG
    SAM_3124.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 74
  • SAM_3123.JPG
    SAM_3123.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 69
  • SAM_3116.JPG
    SAM_3116.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 62
  • SAM_3115.JPG
    SAM_3115.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 98
  • SAM_3111.JPG
    SAM_3111.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi not done much today just moved some more plants into the greenhouse. Its been a nice sunny warm day but we had frost this morning , it hasn't nipped anything in the gh so it all good.

I most get more plants for around now , garden looking bland / boring at the moment I can only fit so many plants in though, i am gear up for mainly May to November . I've lost one of my helenium waltraut as well, disappointing but I'll just split one of the others.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all:

Woke up very late and managed to squeeze in an hour at least of watering. I saw my hellebores dying in front of my eyes. 6 butts of water gone! The wet, the wind and the insipid cold night weather that haven't been kind to my plants at night manifested their nasty sting in my garden and in the lean to. - no seedlings, plants nearly died (I just saved a 3 foot tall viburnum plicatum mariesii at the neck of time!) Have been very busy. Last night, I watched CBS What's Killing me? The hair at the back of my neck stood up as it was riveting watching. Amazing mother's love which saved her son. After focusing so much on the shock and horror, I felt asleep with the Real Prime Suspect. As a result, couldn't sleep. So this morning, I was very pleased that I managed to water some of the garden before 8am on the dot! Wonder what you guys watch on TV.

Losing plants is a most heartbreaking affair! This year, I have been very LUCKY! I listened to Monty Don and all my tall bushy salvia and my Salvia Patens has been giving me cuttings. I also took cuttings from my S Glutinosa, cuttings from penstemons. The rest, as usual, I lost the labels and got them mixed up again! I'm so hopeless. My cuttings were doing very well until the storms came along and the winds and dryness just ruined my game. Even the perennial lobelias are crying out for something. Last year, I drowned them in water and managed to raise them with beautiful flowers - Compton Pink! Most delicious peachy pink! This year, they made face at me - showing their displeasure or discomfort! Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Looking at the weather report, I just want to cry. Remember, Perki, you said I would cry. I'm crying now. No rain in sight for a fortnight. Every time I look at the weather report, I will the blue blob to come to London! But sadly, I'm no rain wizard!

Look at the bright side: my hand-pollinated iris seeds have sprouted and I will go for the rest. Look like another lovely day. Must end horticultural suffering or I will be in mourning soon.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday evening, we were prepping and pumping a duck for a roasted dinner! Just the prospect was salivating. Reaching for the breast, I found myself touch the carcass underneath the big layer of fat! The meant there is no meat in the breasts - the only meaty bit of the whole bird. This was the 2nd time it had happened to me. The first one was a roasted duck at £14 from a Chinese supermarket. There was literally no meat in the breasts. £7 for a long of work and no meat in the only meaty area. Don't buy duck from Lidl unless you want to ruin your festive seasons.

Weather was gorgeous and

SAM_0692.JPG

Quite a few of these ballerinas! Quite magical!
SAM_0691.JPG

A magnolia with only one bud. I thought I had a white Stellata in the allotment. Well, the label was white, but the flower revealed a Susan. Need to get the money back from Lidl!
SAM_0690.JPG

I think this is Minnow: so pure and fragrant!
SAM_0689.JPG
SAM_0688.JPG
SAM_0687.JPG
SAM_0686.JPG

Minnow and this one are my favorites
SAM_0685.JPG
SAM_0684.JPG

Asclepias Tuberosa and Echinacea Rubinstern germinating!
SAM_0680.JPG

The result of my fiddling with yellow and blue ordinary irises and bearded irises. I must sow the other half of the seeds. Very nice to see result, but don't think the hybridisation will be as dramatic as that in this story.
SAM_0679.JPG

SAM_0682.JPG

Leave my favorite photo for last! And also, my birch seeds have germinated. Very pleased.

Attachments

• SAM_0683.JPG
    SAM_0683.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 58
  • SAM_0681.JPG
    SAM_0681.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A little bit of heat and suddenly WHOOSH, buds and flowers appeared out of nowhere!

Yet the cold night really damaged my Fritillaria Imperialis - their colours already faded and turned lighter because of the cold night.

A wonderful tulip - only one in the whole garden!

SAM_3167.JPG
SAM_3166.JPG
SAM_3165.JPG
SAM_3164.JPG

Dancing erythronium everywhere!
SAM_3163.JPG
SAM_3162.JPG

First time in my life, I actually overwintered a pasque flower!
SAM_3161.JPG
SAM_3160.JPG
SAM_3159.JPG

Susan ?? I don't trust Lidl label any more! Another magnolia carrying a white stellata label turned out to be like this one and red too!
SAM_3157.JPG

Fimbriata tulip
SAM_3156.JPG
SAM_3155.JPG

all tulips wild open
SAM_3154.JPG

SAM_3153.JPG

Camellia Kick off

Clematis Macropetala for £7.49
SAM_3152.JPG
SAM_3151.JPG

SAM_3150.JPG

Last week, I saw some white clematis in Aldi for £5.99 smothered with flowers - very good value.

Attachments

• SAM_3158.JPG
    SAM_3158.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 62

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Meanwhile, at the front garden - Californian Poppy was already screaming with joy!
SAM_3142.JPG
SAM_3140.JPG

Cerinthe
SAM_3139.JPG
SAM_3138.JPG

Aster first flower!
SAM_3137.JPG
SAM_3136.JPG
SAM_3131.JPG
SAM_3130.JPG

Next to this common iris is this is a new fragrant iris
SAM_3127.JPG
SAM_3129.JPG
SAM_3128.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_3135.JPG
    SAM_3135.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Weather been nice more a less all week , its jsut been thundering and now some welcome rain has arrived .

Not much done in the garden the past few days, I've resown some grass seed again to repair the edge of the lawn seen as the sparrows took a liking to my previous grass seed. Potted on some seedling and I seem to be doing a lot of watering lately . Also split Helenium Waltraut seen as I've lost one .

A few pic of my pots which are starting to fill out now .
DSC01146.JPG
DSC01148.JPG
DSC01149.JPG
DSC01151.JPG
DSC01153.JPG

GH looks a bit messy but honestly it quite tidy/organised
DSC01154.JPG

Its really raining now its knocked the TV off and probably wash my grass seed away :rolleyes:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice photos, especially the F imperialis! Mine is fading away. Probably because I couldn't afford to water them. I place a bubble wrap on my veg seeds - one to get condensation from the underside and two to keep the seeds warm at night. Night time temperature in this country is always brutal. Now that the ground hasn't warmed up enough, there is no chance of my scorching the seeds.

Friend is short of money and suggested my putting up the green houses, but land is at a premium and the bird cage took up a lot of room. Any way, I am not keen having a greenhouse here. It's always scorching in the lean to. I wish my seedlings were as good as yours. Mine is one tiny seedling with a pair of small true leaves and that only applies to the salvias. Don't you just love salvias - fast and easy germinators.

Glad that you have a bit of rain. I wish I had some. They said earlier that we would have some on Good Friday, and now tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

Perki. Saw yesterday GW's Angelica and I thought of you! LOL! I still haven't managed to get any angelica in my garden. I have now bought the proper seeds, but couldn't manage to see the seeds germinate.

1586584584967.png

Will tomorrow's predicted rain fill up 7 butts? Er no!

My Alstroemerias have smothered my Viburnum P Mariesii and others .. They are just gong crazy.

Trying to evict some dying tulips! Yes, dying already, but they refused to yield their bulbs and now they are legalised squatters, living in my premium land! The law enforcement has given up the ghost! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It was very hot yesterday and at about 5pm, we filled up the latest raised bed. I took composted materials from the end of the end where I used to have tons of compost bins and filled the new bed with about 10 buckets of soil. Cooked peri peri chicken and didn't have our roasted dinner until 8.25pm. Son loved it.

This morning I managed to water the garden from 6 to 7.30am. Thank heavens that we have had a cloudier and cooler morning.

1586673878642.png

I had my first oriental poppy

SAM_3179.JPG
SAM_3178.JPG
SAM_3177.JPG
SAM_3176.JPG

Muscari from Farmer Gracy! And I like the green one!
SAM_3175.JPG
SAM_3174.JPG
SAM_3173.JPG
SAM_3172.JPG

A pink yellow erythronium
SAM_3169.JPG

My Pasque flower and I wish I had sown my meconopsis!
SAM_3168.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_3171.JPG
    SAM_3171.JPG
    405.3 KB · Views: 68
  • SAM_3170.JPG
    SAM_3170.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 76

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just discovered my Hian seedlings before they are killed by extreme heat!

HURRAH!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening another nice day but not as hot as yesterday . Just been potting on some more seedling , had another sowing seed marathon yesterday and potted on more seedling . The garden looking after itself at the moment not much to do .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I could pot on anything. They are the same of a sesame seed! :banghead::inpain::cry: The only thing can be potted on is some salvias and some Toms and some Brussels Sprouts.

For years, I have been trying to grow salvia coccinea summer jewel

1586749461798.png

But despite 5 or more attempts, I have never managed to get going. But yesterday Coccinea Lady in Red showed their seedlings and so did Hians. I have the feeling that the temperature was not high enough for them before. April is the busiest time for sowing. I had a lot to crack on, too. The moral is that DON'T SOW them too EARLY UNLESS the weather is stable. This year has been anything but. Last year, I sowed my petunia pirouette on 22 Feb. This year March and the result has been indifferent or tear-inducing!

Yesterday it rained a bit. Not enough though. I sound like a broken record already - 10 minutes of rain and not enough to fill an inch of any butt. Very sad and look at the sun icons .. Glad that you folks will have clear dry days despite the fact that they might be cold. I'm going to direct sow some flowers.

Viburnum Plicatum Mariesii is very happy, so are the cornuses - they are showing their eyes. I need to sow some Zygopelatum orchids outside. My 10p each investment has been decimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question