Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, zenj ! Can i have your rain forest please, no, PLEASE?

We actually had a bit of wet ground, but some parts were still dry and when I had to put Goldie out, it drizzled.
SAM_1254.JPG

Very small! Having said that, I'm pretty sure they will flower this year. I had 3 Promise from Unwins and it was billed as this

And they all turned out to be these
HELWASH.jpg

When they flower, I can send you the last one and a black one (IN FLOWER! And HOPEFULLY, BLACK AND DOUBLE)!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
I got some doubles last year from three nuns ,I think red and yellow they came about the same size as yours planted them and they stood still for 6 months but all 3 are now growing away so hopeful for flowers this year or early next to see what colour they turn out:)

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, Zenj. I think I would wait and see the COLOUR before I do anything!

Got a lot of artichokes from the allotment.

My mystery beauty!

of
SAM_1258.JPG
SAM_1259.JPG
SAM_1260.JPG
SAM_1261.JPG
SAM_1262.JPG
SAM_1263.JPG

Paul Scarlett making a statement in mid-air!
SAM_1264.JPG

Rimfire
SAM_1265.JPG
SAM_1266.JPG
SAM_1267.JPG

Harriet Holloway
SAM_1268.JPG
SAM_1269.JPG
SAM_1270.JPG
SAM_1255.JPG

Copper coloured Sultan Palace - mentioned by Carol K in Chelsea Flower Show!
SAM_1256.JPG
SAM_1257.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another day with very little rain. Yesterday, I was in the allotment from 9.15 to nearly 4 pm. The sunshine was strong, but the breeze made it possible. I kept hiding in the shed when the sun got too much.

Going to take some more plants there to de-clutter. Got to water the agastaches before it totally dies on me. One is a coral and the other is a blue. Wisteria with buds was shrivelling yesterday.

Will have a cup of tea and go watering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You have got some warm dry weather in stall alp , its been lashing it down here all morning and the rest of the week has showers forecast, it did need to rain . Going to go and sow some seeds biennials and some veg in the GH while the weather miserable

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You have got some warm dry weather in stall alp , its been lashing it down here all morning and the rest of the week has showers forecast, it did need to rain . Going to go and sow some seeds biennials and some veg in the GH while the weather miserable

So true that I just want to cry and scream. Just now, it drizzled for 1 sec and stopped. :cry::cry::eek::banghead::inpain:. It's so dry that bugs ate most of my hellebore seeds and left me with their skins. Even now, somewhere is overcast and it was windy and yet, not a drop of rain. I am down to my last butt of water! Glad that you have some long overdue rain, Perki! Nick Miller said some people might get some rain, but someone nearby might get none. I, unfortunately, belong to the latter!

What biennials are you sowing, Perk? Please let me know so that I can follow suit.

After days of turning the soil in the allotment, I have wised up and taken a frame to the allotment and framed the areas to be sown seeds. I will direct sow, add Verve compost, woodchips and tomorrow I will get some horse manure and let it stew there. Someone had a plot of strawberries and there were tons of slugs pellets around. Never seen the person, but suddenly blue slug pellets covered the in between areas. (n)

Some people grew their blueberries and one lady told me she had to share them with birds. I won't grow them here. One patch of soil which I had laboriously turned over is now covered with weedlings! :dead::inpain: Just what I need. LOL!

Forgot my camera in the shed. Very lucky to have a shed as when it was hot, I hid next to the door. One lady said my plot was too hot. I agree. Most people have 2 plots. I hope to find a house in this borough and get another plot. Just water the plants to my heart's content is sooooo appealing, not to mention the freebies and friendships gained there. A yellow gazania was in bloom and is now folding up - a yellow one from last year. Just tell you how hot and dry we have been here! My version of plant trauma!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sowed seeds this afternoon wallflowers - foxgloves - sweet rocket I'll do the rest of the biennials when I buy them bellis - forget me nots - viola/pansy. Also sowed some veg ( I am not a big veg grower ) lettuce - swede - carrots - beetroot and turnips later, I've sowed them in trays this time see how it does not confident on the carrots, direct sown seeds don't last long ( slugs / snails ) I might get a 1 -2 swedes if I am lucky .

Rained this morning which were welcome but not the flipping wind :( split / blown over some lilys - aquilegia and others . Moved a few plants geranium Patrica a much bigger plant than I were expecting so swapped it around with geranium anne thompson, planted out penstemon - pervoskia - nepata walkers and sanguisorba . Chelsea chopped some plants especially sedum spectable awful when it splits open , also got chopped were Heleniums / phlox and supports add for the heleniums. potted up one of the agastache B Adder doesn't look well and move another A black adder.

Garden seems like a jungle at the moment some plants are growing like mad , had to attack the honeysuckle which is trying to strangle everything.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all - a bit lower in temperature, and slugs and snails were traversing the lawn, the longest one being 4 inches. :mad:

I will sow my foxglove seeds (one or two). I can't seem to remember the word DE-CLUTTERING! Don't even mention honey suckle to me. I have a love-hate relationship with it. It's so rampant that it grew through the fence which is probably more than 30 to 40 years old, not to mentioned those made by impact of golf balls, pucks and footballs. Yet, when it flowers, the perfume is incredibly fresh, unique and spell-bounding. It's like you can't sit still as it is so incredibly sweet and pure. We also had a bit of wind and thank heavens that my lilies are grown in a compact area and some sheltered spots. Last night we had an intense spell of 5 minutes' rain and I gained an inch or 2 in some butts. But it's a drop in the ocean for my desert garden. I wish I could see jungle.

Moved some big pots to the allotment and saw one rotten Fritillaria Imperalis bulb, one part rotten and 2 very good ones. I'm going to store them in sand and direct sow to ground next year and feed like mad. This year, they had a stem, but a puny one with no flowers. I will also scale some in a bag of compost. Very easy. In fact, I saw one bulblet forming in the part rotten one. If it doesn't rain today, I will be watering money!:banghead::inpain::eek:

I said to myself that I wouldn't watch Gentleman Jack, but yesterday, bored with all the repeated snippets of Chelsea Flower Show, I actually watched from the beginning and found it quite good, apart from some boring flesh scene. The grooming was horrible, but the interesting character does prove that Suranne Jones is indeed, very good as an actress.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A tree-mendous challenge! ROBERT HARDMAN on the plans to plant three BILLION trees and create 200,000 more miles of hedgerows in Britain to save the environment
  • The Government appointed Sir William Worsley to the new 'Tree Champion' role
  • Some said it was little more than a gimmick after he only served one day a week
  • Yet, like his subject matter, the squire of Hovingham has swiftly put down roots
  • He has been across the UK to forests and coming up with national 'tree strategy'

What a brilliant idea. I hope it has already been started.

Experts fear British plants are 'under threat' after deadly Xylella bacteria wipes out crops in France, Spain and Italy
  • Experts want volunteers to find 'cuckoo spit' left by insects that spread bacteria
  • Xylella bacteria, which has not yet made it to the UK is feared to be on its way
  • The disease has wiped out crops across France, Spain and Italy

Experts want volunteers to find ‘cuckoo spit’ left by insects that could spread Xylella bacteria, which has not yet made it to the UK but is feared to be on its way after taking hold in France, Spain and Italy. Pictured, a spittlebug producing spittle on a leaf

Please stay away!

Wish I lived near!

Full steam ahead for traction engine rally as dozens of exhibits take visitors back to a golden age of industry and travel
  • A North Yorkshire castle holds first traction engine rally in 40 years to celebrate the bygone age of motoring
  • Vintage cars, trucks and tractors are also being displayed at the three-day event at Castle Howard

Memory making day for the little boy who sat on this one! Shame IMAGE TOO LARGE again!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just prepared dinner and had been in the allotment from 10 to 4.45pm. Totally exhausted. Didn't do much, still weeding!

They said that the plot I have had been left untended for 2 years.

Could be Niobe or Etoile de violette! No idea! Should have some support for her.
SAM_1298.JPG

Day of the roses. All very happy - Paul Scarlett
SAM_1297.JPG

Remember - a rose turns from Pink to white and scented as well!
SAM_1275.JPG

Arthur Bell
SAM_1276.JPG
SAM_1277.JPG

Some rampant ground cover which comes up every year
SAM_1274.JPG

Sultan Palace! Very bronzée!
SAM_1282.JPG
SAM_1283.JPG

Broadway Star
SAM_1284.JPG

Beloved beautifully scented rose!
SAM_1293.JPG

SAM_1273.JPG

Really love this Bluebird wine bearded iris!
SAM_1294.JPG
SAM_1295.JPG

Rimfire - a bit boring!
SAM_1296.JPG
SAM_1298.JPG

I think I will sleep very well tonight. Went to Homebase and wanted to buy some seaweed feed and one for £7.95 and 2 for £8. All GONE!

So useful to have. Going to take some lidded buckets to the allotment as there are stinging nettles growing there. Can make my own feed. But nothing beats a bit of seaweed!

Attachments

• SAM_1271.JPG
    SAM_1271.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 99

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning and it's a day of great expectation. If it doesn't rain HEAVILY before the mercury hits 26c, I will be in serious trouble. I could see a bit of a shower on the ground and even that is not totally wet. Have to start a rain prayer!

Distinctly colder. No allotment today. Need to shift the rampant bamboos to the back. Last night, I let Goldie stay with the girls and the male Silkie who is afraid of Goldie. But it's so unfair to leave Goldie in a hamster cage as it is too short for Goldie. Today, either I have several bruised birds or Goldie have been busy in action and Silkie has learned a lot about ... Silkie has been reared from birth with other boys and one girl and had never seen any real action until Goldie came along. Saved a lot of hassle without having to prepare food for another cage.

I am so hopeless as I can't remember where I planted my thalictrum!:banghead::inpain:

Got this Wiegela for free together with 3 tree posts and some shingle.
SAM_1290.JPG
SAM_1291.JPG
SAM_1292.JPG

This bit is a bit hard to dig.

SAM_1286.JPG
SAM_1287.JPG
SAM_1288.JPG

My alstroemerias.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, no rain today and Goldie has become Mutie - He's no longer his sonorous old self. Very annoyed with the hens - very unruly - kicked the two hanger-feeders and now they are to be starved for half a day.

19% of rain! I am officially a broken record - a groundhog day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I went into someone else's thread. The shock is like seeing the ground wet this morning. I've long given up my hope on rain. Well, there is the shower to give me a sweet surprise. Need to count our blessings.

Yes, gardening is healing and can be addictive, in a good way! We sow something and want to get up the following days to see the seedlings .. Optimism encapsulated in a grain; future and hope are implicitly factored in.

Pensioners' day in the gcs are just amazing. The car park was as full as a Saturday or Sunday. Shopping is a bit difficult as there are all sorts of walking aid, frames and mobiles. The place was buzzing with life ..

Gold crest foxgloves
SAM_1299.JPG
SAM_1300.JPG

Thought peonies had all but finished. Immaculee from Lidl is trying to enjoy the heat!
SAM_1301.JPG

Indoor plant should really be put indoors - Apple Blossom Amaryllis
SAM_1302.JPG
SAM_1303.JPG

Car is to be MOT-ed today! Will go to the allotment to have a blitz!

What else can I direct sow today? Other allotmenteers disagree with direct sow. It's so late now and my seeds are 50p a pop! So I will just be happy go lucky! Life is too short ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question