Lowboy ryegrass

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wondering if any of you guys on the forum have ever grown this as a cover crop.
A boy I grew up with who is a cross country truck driver called me today and said he could bring me back all I needed for nearly nothing. Also ladino clover which I've not grew before.
What I've read online the liwboy suppose to be really good stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've thrown out some annual ryegrass. Not sure what kind. What ever it is they carry at the CO-OP. I see it as something to hurry and get something growing in cool weather so yes it can be useful but it doesn't fix nitrogen like a legume would.

I have ladino clover in my chicken pen. It is a perennial. I do like it there but I'd rather use crimson clover in the garden as it is an annual so you don't really have to worry much about it coming back up unless you let it reseed itself. But yes I think I would use ladino clover in its place if the price was right.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Sounds like you can't beat the price of that ryegrass. I prefer cereal rye aka winter rye aka Elbon rye for the garden for its nematode preventive properties. It really works. A big part of the cost of seeds these days is shipping and you have that covered.

I like ladino white clover and in fact planting some myself next month. It is a very good legume and generally lasts all winter here....as long as the deer don't get it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbobway

Latest Threads