Looking for Good "Filler" for Large Pots

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Purchased some nice large pots and want to place some potted plants within them, where the rest
of the larger pot is filled with something to support the smaller pot (i.e. empty water bottles, Styrofoam etc.)

Something economical and doesn't break down - that's what we want.

Any ideas ( besides empty water bottles, Styrofoam) are appreciated.

Thankyou.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you really want to keep it in the smaller pot I would put an upside down flowerpot in the larger one first.
BUT
Check out Meadowlark's thread on hugelculture. He is growing in containers putting wood in the bottom of the container before the compost. As the wood rots it seems to provide nutrients, also the wood holds a considerable amount of water which keeps the compost damp with little or no watering. He has been growing with the same soil with and without wood, and the wood seems to massively improve the plants. Old and rotting wood is pretty easily obtainable, just take a walk where there are a good few trees growing, especially after Autumn gales.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If you really want to keep it in the smaller pot I would put an upside down flowerpot in the larger one first.
BUT
Check out Meadowlark's thread on hugelculture. He is growing in containers putting wood in the bottom of the container before the compost. As the wood rots it seems to provide nutrients, also the wood holds a considerable amount of water which keeps the compost damp with little or no watering. He has been growing with the same soil with and without wood, and the wood seems to massively improve the plants. Old and rotting wood is pretty easily obtainable, just take a walk where there are a good few trees growing, especially after Autumn gales.
Appreciate your suggestions.

We are not looking to build up soil in the larger pots, just (preferably light) material placed in it to provide support for the smaller pot. Was thinking of something like packing peanuts, enclosed in a bag, stuffed down into the larger pot to provide support for a smaller pot above

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, like I said, I would put in an upside down flowerpot if I wanted to keep the plant in the smaller pot, but that is probably because I have lots of spare flowerpots.
Why do you want to keep it in the smaller pot? Are you intending to change it for another soon? I ask because on the whole the bigger the pot, the better the plant does, especially with winter coming. Small pots are really susceptible to frost which can really damage roots. Outside Siberia it is rare for freezing temperatures to reach much below ground level. A small pot is going to get cold, hot, wet and dry much more easily, and most plants hate extremes and inconsistency, so I always go for the biggest pot I can. Even when I am dropping a plastic flowerpot into an ornamental ceramic one I try and pick the largest pot that will fit init.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Well, like I said, I would put in an upside down flowerpot if I wanted to keep the plant in the smaller pot, but that is probably because I have lots of spare flowerpots.
Yes, that wouldn't work - these pots are too large.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some pretty big flowerpots :)

Seriously, I have loads from three inches tall x three across to about a foot tall by a foot across. Try giving a few nice, rooted cuttings to professional gardeners who have to buy plants. They are very grateful and have loads of pots. I even have a couple of huge ones trees came in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, upside down smaller pots. makes it then easier to move, less weight.
The weight issue is worth thinking about, how about a couple of empty gallon plastic bottles, the sort I buy paraffin/kerosene for my greenhouse heater in? Or a bunch of plastic bottles stood on end, so long as they were tall enough you could just keep adding until they filled out the width, and packed in they would be pretty strong. Plastic bottles are always stronger with the lid on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
few years back planted sunflower seeds in a very wide plastic planter, it was up to my waist. but I put those black plastic flower pots from the nursery upside down around in a circle. then the soil. the pots were tall enough to fit half the pot. We keep lots of pots from nurseries over to the side of the shed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Been awhile since the last thread posting. Resolved this issue by layering bricks within a very large talavera pot , and placing a large 15gal pot near the top.

Worked out great, and appreciate all the great suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20230210_153304675_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230210_153304675_HDR~2.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Ask a Question