Living Soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Everything but the garden. I was using Sunshine 4 and not Happy with it. I asked my wife how I was going to deal with customers and lt? She said tuff. Nope I'm not going to do another person like that.

I'm going to put Compost on the garden.

Going to have several raise beds and containers.

Going to have Beds in my Greenhouse.

Going to use Shredded Leaves for mulch. Plus have Wood Chips for mulch and my Mushrooms.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
..including the analysis of compost.
My compost has chook manure mixed with barley straw, lucerne, coffee grounds, layers of cow dung, weeds (including comfrey, borage, stinging nettle), eggshells, onion peel, carob leaves and pods, broad bean and other legume crop residuals, wood ash and charred wood pieces and so on. I bet your analysis of compost NPK (based on internet postings I believe) does not apply to my compost.
If you want things to hot up Big Rockpile you need a compost bin, one meter cube in size, with dampness and not wetness and a ratio of nitrogen (fertilizer) sufficient to get the pile so full of bacteria that they let off steam.
I have noticed that carob beans when piled at least 200mm (8") high do combust on their own - or at least turn that grey ash color within two weeks without any other ingredients.
Stay organic Big guy.lol.
I have a 3 Bin System not good with metrics but my Bins are 4X8 foot. Then actually I have 2 smaller Bins.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Australia
my Bins are 4X8 foot.
That's 1.2 x 2.5m and is fine as long as the third dimension is at least 3'4' (or one meter). The eight-foot dimension is twice what it needs to be.
I started life with feet and inches and then we converted to metric. For about five years we had to convert everything - weights and dollars as well as dimensions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's 1.2 x 2.5m and is fine as long as the third dimension is at least 3'4' (or one meter). The eight-foot dimension is twice what it needs to be.
I started life with feet and inches and then we converted to metric. For about five years we had to convert everything - weights and dollars as well as dimensions.
I was mixing Bread Dough and had too much going on to be going metric.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I should add I understand them wanting the metrics system.

But it was hard enough messing with everything that went into a thousand pounds of Bread Dough.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I was young there were twelve pence in a shilling and twenty shillings in a pound, a third of a pound was six and eight pence and two thirds thirteen and fourpence.
It had its disadvantages, but I can do simple arithmetic while younger people are still reaching for their phones, and you can't have a third of a hundred new pence.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Read something recently which suggested that gut bacteria live long after death and affect the soil bacteria.
I read (somewhere in YouTube talks on microbes) that a lot of microbes have a two-hour lifespan so there is a large 'necrobiome' of dead microbes. These apparently fill themselves with their favorite nutrient before dying and provide available food for plant roots.
(I still can't imagine two million of anything in a spoonful.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read (somewhere in YouTube talks on microbes) that a lot of microbes have a two-hour lifespan so there is a large 'necrobiome' of dead microbes. These apparently fill themselves with their favorite nutrient before dying and provide available food for plant roots.
(I still can't imagine two million of anything in a spoonful.)
Think of yeast how they multiple and you can watch this.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeast gives a good image of rapid multiplying, but these microbes are more like extraterrestrials viewed through a microscope. Yeast is a singled cell fungi that grows to be the world's biggest creature (9 miles diameter), with an internet like messaging system that sends food in both directions down one-way mycelia.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some bacteria have a trick of joining in circles and chains, and then swapping dna elements amongst them so they end up in different individuals, and possibly different places in the sequence. Combined with multiple generations in a short space of time it explains their immense ability to change and adapt. The other thing is that the simpler an organism is the more likely a change will be viable, mutations in something as complex as a human will nearly always be detrimental, bacteria don't have complex organs to go wrong.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basically the same mix but one part Top Soil and some Fertilizer.

Problem I found I have is with the Peat Moss I wet it down when I'm mixing.

I was doing as always potting and watering.

Don't work the soil is too wet for too long. Thing is the roots look great.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Did I see you in a beautiful big hothouse on one of the threads?
If it's still too wet outside you should put a seat in the hothouse, get heaps of pots and potting soil and plant all your summer vegetables from seed in pots....and invite the wife to join you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did I see you in a beautiful big hothouse on one of the threads?
If it's still too wet outside you should put a seat in the hothouse, get heaps of pots and potting soil and plant all your summer vegetables from seed in pots....and invite the wife to join you.
Oh I got some Vegetables planted and I told my wife to get out because she POed me.

She tryst but some times she is too much.

Seems like most women around me cooking is no their thing.

I had a woman one time was just city,she really tried and begged me to stay with her but it would have never worked.

big rockpile

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
So that hothouse is planted out?
What I was going to say is - that mate of yours who says you need very little input to get a fertile living soil is probably right.
All your need is yeast and milk bacteria inoculants, and they are very easy to make.

Ask a Question