Living Soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Evidently you do care because you post on something you know nothing about.

What about what one guy asked. What do you do when your plants look great but your Soil Test says your soil is crap?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What you are making is essentially the same as bagged commercial potting soil. You will need to use some kind of supplemental fertilizer, either organic or synthetic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
"Mel's Mix" as it is known in Square Foot Garden groups is 1/3 peat, 1/3 vermiculite & 1/3 of 5 combined composts. (which also include different manures)

They don't "cook" it. They mix & grow. It works well for them.
I've tried it. It worked well for me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What you are making is essentially the same as bagged commercial potting soil. You will need to use some kind of supplemental fertilizer, either organic or synthetic.
This mix is more dependent on Microbs. Super Soil is dependent on added stuff.

I think it is better to cook but not necessary.

I have a mix cooking that I added some used soil in by the time I'm done potting with this other mix it should be good.

What many don't realize is they are feeding the Microbs not the plants. If you use synthetic fertilizer you will starve the Microbs but feed the plants. In other words killing the soil.

big rockpile

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just do things like, chop-and-drop, mulch, compost, grow cover crops and don't till the soil. That seems to work quite well in building the soil, i.e. give the microbes what they need and don't disturb and let them do their work.

I rather not rely on mined materials when the soil organisms and the plants can keep the soil aerated just fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got a friend that uses Living Soil and always laughing at me buying fertilizer.

Was using synthetic and went to Organic. He would still laugh. You don't fertilize and still do better.

Finally he has me looking at the Big picture.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Absolutely I am no expert grower of things- as evidenced by my results. But, I wanted to pass along something that my grandfather used to do to plain, old dirt for growing vegetables and roses.

He won multiple awards for his roses in the late 19th and early 20th century, so something about this mixture must be valid. Maybe it'll be something someone here would like to use to experiment:

He dug any reasonable dirt that he could find around the base of the mountain where he lived in Germany. If it was too "heavy" or "clayey", he'd get sand from his father who dug sand out of rivers for a summer living (winter was ice harvesting). The dirt & sand got mixed together.

Then, he would add chopped up brown (never green) vegetation. Also mixed in would be yeast. He said that the yeast was critical for plant success.

The mix would get stirred weekly in winter. During winter, more vegetation & yeast were periodically added. The pile never froze because of the digestive action.

The fancy dirt was used for spring planting. If it was available, he said left over wort was diluted and used to water the dirt while the plants were growing.

I know the science for not using green vegetation. How nutritious the mix was, I don't know.

I do know the sand-clay works very well. Despite people saying it makes a brick, my dirt is all clay. I mix in sand and end up with a nice, loamy dirt that never compacts. Slag sand also works. (No, slag doesn't kill plants. They grow like crazy right in the slag pile.)

Paul

Reaction score
Country
United States
Clay can be good if you can get Microbs breaking it up.

Meadowlark is just feeding the Microbs.

What so many now days are doing is using Synthetic Fertilizer and bypassing the Microbs. It is faster and get fast results but your killing the soil.

When you put stuff down for the plants it is for the Microbs because plants can't take it in without going through the Microbs.

So many think they are doing good using no till farming. Thing is they are just keeping crappy soil from washing away.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Don't believe anything on the internet.
..including the analysis of compost.
My compost has chook manure mixed with barley straw, lucerne, coffee grounds, layers of cow dung, weeds (including comfrey, borage, stinging nettle), eggshells, onion peel, carob leaves and pods, broad bean and other legume crop residuals, wood ash and charred wood pieces and so on. I bet your analysis of compost NPK (based on internet postings I believe) does not apply to my compost.
If you want things to hot up Big Rockpile you need a compost bin, one meter cube in size, with dampness and not wetness and a ratio of nitrogen (fertilizer) sufficient to get the pile so full of bacteria that they let off steam.
I have noticed that carob beans when piled at least 200mm (8") high do combust on their own - or at least turn that grey ash color within two weeks without any other ingredients.
Stay organic Big guy.lol.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read something recently which suggested that gut bacteria live long after death and affect the soil bacteria. I have always buried my dead pets, but it made me wonder if road kill might be a good addition. I remember reading an old time gardener saying one of his first jobs as an apprentice was digging out a bed to bury a bullock that had died of disease and was considered unfit for consumption. He said it made a good rose bed.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The trouble with burying bodies in the compost is ants and rodents will discover them.
Here's a couple of shots of the compost being turned. The grey stuff is carob beans 'firing up' as big rockpile puts it.

Attachments

• IMG_3322.JPG
    IMG_3322.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3313.JPG
    IMG_3313.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Read something recently which suggested that gut bacteria live long after death and affect the soil bacteria. I have always buried my dead pets, but it made me wonder if road kill might be a good addition. I remember reading an old time gardener saying one of his first jobs as an apprentice was digging out a bed to bury a bullock that had died of disease and was considered unfit for consumption. He said it made a good rose bed.
I'm not sure it's a good idea to eat plants that grew above a dead animal, especially if the animal was a carnivore or onmivore. The types of intestinal bacteria in flesh eating animals are the concern with food crops.

At this address: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7200981/ is an article not specifically addressing using animals as fertilizer, but it has information to give a general idea of why dead animals can be dangerous to health. Some will apply if used in the garden.

There are safe and reasonably sanitary ways to compost a dead animal. Texas A&M and North Dakota State University both have good articles, as to many other agricultural colleges and universities.

Paul

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well yesterday I did bury a Chicken in the garden.

Working on a New Compost pile. Got some old Hay with Horse Manuer, Chicken Manuer, Old Soil, Shredded Leaves and Wood Ash.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@big rockpile what are you using your original mix for? ie peat, perlite and compost ? Is it for the garden outside, or for pot plants, or seeds and cuttings ?

Ask a Question