List of herbs for a newbie to start with?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Please could you tell me which would be the best (easiest) herbs for me to start with? I've never gardened before, and I recently took an interest. I've been advised to start with herbs for my kitchen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think the easiest to grow is basil and there are literally dozens of different types. All you will need is a south facing window for best results. Most herbs are fairly easy to grow but I would stay away from stevia. All of the others like oregano, thyme and mints are fairly easy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rosemary was easy for me to grow. I use it all the time and I like being able to walk outside and get some fresh from my garden! It doesn't hurt that it smells fabulous! Mint takes off like a rocket, so that one is nice too - but my dogs seem to get all the good leaves - jerks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Clair02, do you mean herbs to use in the kitchen (cooking, garnishing) or herbs to grow on your kitchen windowsill?
If you mean culinary herbs to use to enhance cooked dishes and salads, I'd recommend oregano, large-leaf basil (Genovese), thyme, and large leaf (Italian) parsley.
If you are planning to grow them on your windowsill, globe basil (it's smaller), parsley, and mint. The others do better outside and planted directly in the ground, not in pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have added coriander, oregano, large-leaf basil, thyme and parsley to my list. I am intending to start off with potted plants on my kitchen windowsill, and gradually move to the outside plants. I've never grown anything before and I want to take my time learning the right way. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Rosemary, sage and mint to me are easy to grow and seem to thrive with little effort on my part!

I find basil to be kind of hard to maintain actually, it grows well if I tend to it a lot but it's a lot more upkeep!

Ask a Question