How should I be composting? (list)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so I've got strawberries, and I plan on growing lettuces, kale, summer squash, tomatoes, and possibly potatoes this year.

List of easily available compostable materials:

rabbit droppings and urine mixed with timothy hay
virtually endless coffee grounds
lawn clippings
chicken manure mixed with large amounts of white wood shavings/chips

I have limited access to/supply of dried leaves (Seattle area, most everything is coniferous, so sometimes I could get pine needles)
I am making a point to ask my Grandfather for his banana peels (he eats a banana a day!!

Thanks for the help. We've had chickens for years and have a massive pile that keeps getting dumped upon, mostly chicken manure mixed with their bedding, but also the lawn clippings and within the last year, some bunny stuff... but it's never turned or anything (it's probably a few tons, and usually soaking wet due to all the rain). So I'm not sure what to do with the "compost pile". I can't manage it on my own. Usually if you dig into it, there's lots of earthworms, but I'm not sure how to use the stuff safely and correctly in the garden. I'm hoping to make a separate smaller compost pile exclusively for the rabbit stuff and other things.

If you have any advice, thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am not good at composting but from what I see in our compost bin, it has a mix of leftover vegetable trimmings and fruit rinds although sometimes we also toss in leftover rice. But my husband is cautioning us on putting cook food because it would attract the pests particularly the mice and the rats (although our backyard is clean of pests. And when we add cooked food in the compost bin, we cover it with a plywood and a rock for weight so the pests couldn't come in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Get all the leaves you can; they are the best single item for compost.
Mix them with the chicken manure.
Be careful with coffee grounds; some is very beneficial, too much is phytotoxic.
Pine needles are VERY acidic; they are the best way to organically lower the pH of your soil, so tread carefully there.
If there are loads of worms in your compost, it's going to be very good.

Ask a Question