Wish list and/or bin list?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For 2017, what plants would you like to have bought or want to buy for next year and what plants do you regret having planted in your garden or border please?

For me, I would loved to have bought some neon blue salvia, some deep violet/maroon salvia, penstemon Sour grapes, Romneya Coulteri which is probably called weed in California ?? :eek:

I will add a bit more later!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
More Hellebores! That's what I would like, also need to research into more winter flowering plants.:)(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Upsy Daisy I have bought tons of helleborus seeds and they are so expensive. I just dumped them in my nursery bed and had the feeling that ants or slugs had already consumed them. Bought another lot and they are now in my big box inside the house as it has been sooooo hot. Winter flowering plants?? How about daphne?? ££££ :eek::cry: and that's why I have never had them. Must befriend the lady worker in a diy store again. She told me today that she had done a horticultural course.

@MaryMary Just put in an ad and ask for cuttings .. tons of people have them and the cuttings take in no time. Have a go .. No need to break the bank. A lady told me that her workmate gave her a broken streptocarpus leaf and she had some herself .. What a crafty way to add to stock... But it could be a genuine case! Too many big leaves and some broke and hey presto, take them home and propagate.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fuchsia cuttings take that easily? Good to know, thank you! :)

A lady told me that her workmate gave her a broken streptocarpus leaf and she had some herself .. What a crafty way to add to stock...
Years ago, a friend of my mother's sent her a bit of Christmas cactus. Wrapped in a paper towel, in an envelope, through the US mail. (She sent it not as a cutting, but simply to show Mom the color of the flower.) Mom noticed roots and planted it, and she had a new cactus! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I received catalogs for the autumn. So I chose Lilium candidum and Rhodohypoxis. I do not know how this will endure the winter. But it will be interesting!

I planted a variety of Wisteria, which is not afraid of frost. She winters, but grows slowly and does not yet blossom. I can not say I'm sorry. Just waiting for the flowers!:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary I'm sure you take after your mum. I tell you this: Last Sunday, we went to this store and I saw a geranium branch lying on the shelf, so I put it in a bag and came home and potted them up. 2 branches ready to be binned as it was broken. Now is the time to do it. A lot of plants are putting a lot of energy to grow now, so I will take as many cuttings of my salvias as possible. I'm really scared of losing a plant and that's why I took so many strepto cuttings and now they are all over the floor, giving me severe depression.

Hi, @Larisa I really like wisteria as a plant. I bought loads of seeds from China/Hongkong and it's like 99p for 20 or 10 seeds and they germinate really well. Well- chuffed.

After that, they could take a lot of abuse. I left them outside in the cold, in the heat and about 10 are still alive. But it will take years for them to flower..

Both Lilium candidum and Rhodohypoxis are lovely and I heard that the latter is not easy to grow.. No experinence. @Zenj might know. I had the feeling that his avatar is of that flower .. @Zenj Am I wrong?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Both Lilium candidum and Rhodohypoxis are lovely and I heard that the latter is not easy to grow..

I are now collecting information, too. I will have to make a warm shelter for the winter or use a container. But always want to add something new.
This year I also bought several cuttings Epiphyllum. I'll have to wait long for the flowers. But these new varieties are very beautiful! :love:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Larisa Is it true that Epiphyllum only flowers at night and one night only?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@alp No. As far as I know, only a certain grade with white flowers.
The remaining varieties keep flowers for a long time! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Astilbe Cappuccino is on my immediate wish list. Also, Agapanthus Snowstorm.
I have tired of eleagnus, plain green spireas, crocus......to me crocus is a WEED; it spreads and seeds everywhere so I regret planting it.......and muscari

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, @Verdun . Agree totally - muscari is pure evil, so is acanthus mollis, arum lily, some viola, some geranium. The latter two just take over. Eryngium is another I am scared of. They spring up everywhere on my lawn and they like to go to the right end of my border and I'm worried that they are pricking passers-by..

@Larisa worthy of a place in your collection ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've got begonia, fuchsia, periwinkle, vinca, polka dot, peace lily and plantain lily. I had bird of paradise but I bought 1 today...
Ohh and another lotus and a night blooming water lily. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pining to see the lotus flower already, @tbendl.. I'm going to start a collection of salvias .. and irises, heleniums and bamboo. I have P Nigra, Fargesia Fungosa, Nitida, and hope to get one with a green stripe down its stems..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Didn't I post pictures or it? Naughty me, I thought I did. It has come and gone already, but I have another bud surfacing already!
Sorry I took a few pictures of it since I was soooo excited!
2017-06-26 06.28.26.jpg
2017-06-30 06.46.48.jpg
2017-07-02 09.04.09.jpg
2017-07-02 09.04.19.jpg
2017-07-02 09.04.28.jpg
2017-07-02 09.04.39.jpg
2017-07-02 09.04.47.jpg
2017-07-03 11.34.22.jpg
2017-07-03 11.34.27.jpg
2017-07-03 11.34.36.jpg

Ask a Question