Lemon Sapling

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my lemon sapling, approximately 9 months old and 18 inches tall. the base seems as though it is starting to take on a woody texture. im not sure when would be an appropriate time to trim this sapling to encourage outwards growth. i water it about once a week with a bottom to top watering pot, and i just added a bit of houseplant fertilizer to the water i gave it today but i fear that that was a mistake and that im at a risk of burning the plant.

Attachments

• 93D6E22C-725D-44A2-990E-C4764C1820BE.jpeg
    93D6E22C-725D-44A2-990E-C4764C1820BE.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 07678400-2E26-46DA-ACF4-EAF526CC29EE.jpeg
    07678400-2E26-46DA-ACF4-EAF526CC29EE.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 735971FC-6E35-4C16-8B98-BBD0BA786318.jpeg
    735971FC-6E35-4C16-8B98-BBD0BA786318.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my lemon sapling, approximately 9 months old and 18 inches tall. the base seems as though it is starting to take on a woody texture. im not sure when would be an appropriate time to trim this sapling to encourage outwards growth. i water it about once a week with a bottom to top watering pot, and i just added a bit of houseplant fertilizer to the water i gave it today but i fear that that was a mistake and that im at a risk of burning the plant.
You little sapling looks normal although it would like MUCH more light and is getting a little leggy. Lemons naturally are a bush and will start turning into a more bush like plant as it gets older, so keep the pruning shears away from it for another year at least. The woody texture is just the plants natural growth habit and has started to turn into the "bark" of a mature plant. I hope you are not fertilizing with garbage like Miracle Grow. That stuff may be OK for short lived plants but not for citrus. If not already, use something like HastaGro every two weeks but stay away from synthetic fertilizers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You little sapling looks normal although it would like MUCH more light and is getting a little leggy. Lemons naturally are a bush and will start turning into a more bush like plant as it gets older, so keep the pruning shears away from it for another year at least. The woody texture is just the plants natural growth habit and has started to turn into the "bark" of a mature plant. I hope you are not fertilizing with garbage like Miracle Grow. That stuff may be OK for short lived plants but not for citrus. If not already, use something like HastaGro every two weeks but stay away from synthetic fertilizers.
unfortunately that is most sun exposed spot in my house :( during the summer i definitely just kept it outside on my porch. it doesn’t help that it’s an overcast day here but for the whole morning the sun shines through that window (that’s why all my plants are gathered there lol) this is the fertilizer i used, and this is also the first time ive done that but i don’t think i will again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
unfortunately that is most sun exposed spot in my house :( during the summer i definitely just kept it outside on my porch. it doesn’t help that it’s an overcast day here but for the whole morning the sun shines through that window (that’s why all my plants are gathered there lol) this is the fertilizer i used, and this is also the first time ive done that but i don’t think i will again
That fertilizer is NOT to be used on citrus, ever. You really are lucky that you didn't harm the roots with that very high nitrogen content fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That fertilizer is NOT to be used on citrus, ever. You really are lucky that you didn't harm the roots with that very high nitrogen content fertilizer.
the struggles of being a novice gardeneri hope i don’t kill my little baby :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it were me I would flush the container. That stuff is at least 50% fast acting

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it were me I would flush the container. That stuff is at least 50% fast acting
i dumped what was left in the pot ( you pour the water into a well at the bottom and the dirt absorbs it from the bottom up) but didn’t add additional water because i didn’t want to overwater and typically with those kinds of pots the dirt won’t absorb more than it can hold

Ask a Question