"leggy" grass

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just had two day of rain and 2 inches of rain. My lawn sucked it up like a sponge. And the lawn is super soft to walk on. It my lawn was compacted and needed aeration; wouldn't I have puddles?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not necessarily. Two days and two inches is a very nice slow rainfall with plenty of time for water to soak in. Compacted soil still allows water to penetrate and plants to grow. What compacted soil does is restrict, not eliminate, the water intake and as importantly, the oxygen. Compacted soil slows or stops root growth which is the cause of the problem. Although the rain you just had has penetrated deeply into the soil, when it dries out it will still be compacted. If every time it rained it was for 2 days and 2 inches things would be different, but, it doesn't.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So much to learn. Final decision, I aerate. Gonna do it by hand thought, that area is not too large, maybe 1,000 sq. ft. About a 12 pack of beer in my estimation

Ask a Question