"leggy" grass

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently I have been finding my grass becoming very leggy It does not stand up, whether it is mowed or not. I started using a weed killer a few years ago and it seems to have done wonders, the lawn looked great Then even with fertilizer being applied, the lawn just started thinning out and the blades are weak and just lay down as if after a heavy rain, even if it is dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Recently I have been finding my grass becoming very leggy It does not stand up, whether it is mowed or not. I started using a weed killer a few years ago and it seems to have done wonders, the lawn looked great Then even with fertilizer being applied, the lawn just started thinning out and the blades are weak and just lay down as if after a heavy rain, even if it is dry.
So is it a type of feacue? Red fescue maybe?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lawn was here when I moved here 15 years ago. I did a decent job of ridding the weeds out, but the lawn then became thin and lazy. I know as much about grass as rocket science. I spread some Black beauty Sun and Shade 2 years ago that does have fescue but I doubt it ever came up

Attachments

• IMG_1624.JPG
    IMG_1624.JPG
    478.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    419.1 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO, any lawn that is 15+ years old, been fertilized with synthetics and has not been aerated is bound to be compacted. Soil compaction causes thin leggy patchy grass and no variety of grass will grow well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, good advice from both of you. I am dedicated to dethatching and aerating the lawn. Kept looking for the easy way out. Is it ok to dethatch during the summer and then aerate in the fall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dethach and aerate in the begining of the growing season. Dethaching exposes soil to allow fill in growth room and the aeration,depending upon your soil, can be used for compost filling or other needs. But roots need time to recover before dormancy strikes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here is another way to fix your lawn. Fertilize. Spray the entire lawn with a product called Medina Soil Activator once per month as per directions and cover the entire lawn with about 1/2" of compost. This will soften and aerate the soil and it will also decompose your thatch into a useable grass food source. This will eliminate the need to rent an aerator and dethatcher. And all you will need to spread the compost is a wheelbarrow a hard rake and a shovel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here is another way to fix your lawn. Fertilize. Spray the entire lawn with a product called Medina Soil Activator once per month as per directions and cover the entire lawn with about 1/2" of compost. This will soften and aerate the soil and it will also decompose your thatch into a useable grass food source. This will eliminate the need to rent an aerator and dethatcher. And all you will need to spread the compost is a wheelbarrow a hard rake and a shovel.
I like this idea If you can keep thatch wet at all it will compost nicely

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like this idea If you can keep thatch wet at all it will compost nicely
If the thatch is fairly thick it will act as an insulator and keep the soil and lower portion of the thatch moist for a longer period of time. Back in the day when I had a lawn care business this process was what I did when the customer didn't care about the time line, as this process takes longer than when using an aerator and dethatcher.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, I like this. Sounds easy and leaves me more time to drink beer and watch the grass grow :) But do I have to spread compost every month too after I use Soil Activator, or just the first time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, I like this. Sounds easy and leaves me more time to drink beer and watch the grass grow :) But do I have to spread compost every month too after I use Soil Activator, or just the first time?
No, just the first time but adding compost a couple of times per year will hugely benefit your lawn. The secret to putting compost on your lawn is to not put it too deep. 1/2"is plenty.

Ask a Question