Left over insecticide?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recently had to battle some new caterpillars on my lettuce so I purchased a bottle of Bacillus Thuringiensis that needed to be diluted. Once diluted it says to use the mixture in 24 hours but it made waaaay more than I needed. I can’t dump it down the drain and I can’t use it up so what do I do with it now? Any idea how I am supposed to safely dispose?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recently had to battle some new caterpillars on my lettuce so I purchased a bottle of Bacillus Thuringiensis that needed to be diluted. Once diluted it says to use the mixture in 24 hours but it made waaaay more than I needed. I can’t dump it down the drain and I can’t use it up so what do I do with it now? Any idea how I am supposed to safely dispose?
Just pour it on the ground. It is not toxic to anything except caterpillars and it is derived from a naturally occurring soil bacteria. It totally harmless.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I was going to suggest since you are in Texas find a fire ant mound and dispose of it there.... but "Scientists fed Bacillus thuringiensis and two other bacteria to fire ants, then dissected the ants to see if the microorganisms passed into their digestive systems. They did not."

So, Chuck has the best approach.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh wow, too bad though. That would have been an awesome and easy solution to ants! For whatever reason in my are we have a huge abundance of wolf spiders. And they get MASSIVE. Like the size of my palm massive. I’ve gotten used to them though haha and they keep most other bugs in check

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great answer from @Chuck and I can't say anything further but to add that it's a common misconception that Bacillus Thuringiensis isn't safe. Well, it's a pesticide and that alone prompts the need for a safe disposal, which is kinda good coz you care for the environment.

So yeah, the Bt is totally safe and only toxic to caterpillars and critters that may be harmful to your lettuce and garden as a whole. The pesticide is actually very safe for other garden friendly insects like the ladybugs.

Also, for future preventive measures against caterpillars, I'd advise you to complement your garden with plants known to repel caterpillars e.g. peppermint, sage, lavender, and mugwort. It's their smell that keeps off the caterpillars whilst making your garden smell good.

Ask a Question