Lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have a weibang ip70 model it is very hard to start. So i brought it back tothe dealer and he said there was nothing wrong with it. He started it using easy start. And he blamed dirty petrol. I have had briggs an stratton engines most of my life and they always started no problem. Even when it does start it is spluttering and missing and i have to use the choke all the time. Surely this is not normal. Hope you can give me some advice. By the way it is only four years old.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Sedaka Firstly, I am no mechanic! I do think however, that your dealer is right, and it is the petrol that makes the problems. ''THEY'' have done something to the petrol again recently, and I know we have to put some kind of additive to it. I think your dealer should know about this, and should have advised you accordingly. It might be an idea to keep some easy start handy, just in case.
I hope someone with more knowledge will be able to help with some more ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Kinda sounds like the carb is about half clogged up. If it runs better when pulling the choke out, then it's a clogged carb.

Some have a compression release mechanism that when malfunctions, makes the engine hard to start like the battery is always half dead.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Might be varnishing in the carb from letting gas sit too long. Small engines are made cheap as heck now and if you don't use high test gas they die fast. Also letting gas sit in them too long. It's called varnishing, it makes a residue that bakes the carb. In Canada you can get sea foam at Canadian Tire. Not sure if it's sold outside of Canada but if you can get it add some in the gas and spray some in the carb. Let it sit a few minutes then start it up. Even if you have to use quick start. Once it's going spray some right into the carb and watch the smoke show lol. It will de-varnish it. If you can't find sea foam there are similar products. But your small engines guy is right, cheap old gas kills small engines... They are not built like they use to be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You probably have water in your gas. Unsealed gas storage cans and ventilated tanks are the culprit. You can buy a gas additive usually found in snow country in the automotive parts stores. Or use some alcohol and run it Or pitch it over and drain it. The gas is lighter than water so the water is likely nearest the tank pick up which is often in the lowest spot.

Ask a Question