Lawn full of weeds. Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a garden full of weeds including stinging nettles, spiky weeds and others (I have no clue) in the UK

We have been advised to strim down, apply fertilised and lay turf. My concern is this won’t stop weeds growing through

We have tried weed killers and digging but there’s way too much to dig

Please any advice would be amazing. Ideally the quickest most effective way!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So this is a lawn and not a veggie garden? Is there a veggie garden? If so does rainwater from that lawn run toward the garden or away? Chemicals can be brutal. Why do you say laying turf? This is the most expensive method. Which kind of turf to buy? Fescue is popular in northerly latitudes and goes in with inexpensive seed.​

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perseverance is what you need. Hand digging is best - a patch at a time until it's done. You need to take out the roots of those big weeds. If it seems there is too much to dig, you need to break it down into smaller patches until you get to the end. Preparing the ground is the most important part of gardening whatever you decide to grow there.
I am getting close to 80 yrs old, and have just dug over about an acre. It takes perseverance and I can only do so much at a time since my heart attack - but I'm getting there. The weed seeds keep blowing in - but that's gardening for you - it keeps me going!!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you get a copper pipe and a wooden dowel that fits nicely inside it you can push the pipe into the center of the nettles and dandelions and when you pull it up it should have the entire root stuck inside. Then just push the root out with the wooden dowel. It helps, especially with the nettles. Other then that just keep mowing it so the weeds don't get a chance to seed. That would probably be the cheapest and safest solution.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has fertilizing and laying out turf been effective before in the past? I'm assuming if it has worked, that would be the quickest and most effective solution. Alternatively, you could look into covering the area with mulch to stifle weed growth. Good luck figuring out the best option, and hopefully those weeds are gone quickly!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a garden full of weeds including stinging nettles, spiky weeds and others (I have no clue) in the UK

We have been advised to strim down, apply fertilised and lay turf. My concern is this won’t stop weeds growing through

We have tried weed killers and digging but there’s way too much to dig

Please any advice would be amazing. Ideally the quickest most effective way!

Fescue is tuff and it goes by runners and seed. You have to keep it mowed or it will make tuff clumps.

Last year I bought Fescue I bought a million pounds to clean and sell.

big rockpile

Ask a Question