Lumpy uneven lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lawn is lumpy and uneven. Seems like there are lush green lumps and then larger areas where grass is more yellow / green and sparse. Any ideas what I can do ti improve it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
0C06B427-AEEF-4507-8F30-2E52CA40FAA7.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ore of two things come to mind. In the last days of Winter right before Spring you should bring a layer of quality topsoil and level the ground. Or you can remove the top inch completely then amend the soil and reseed in Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You probably have a fescue grass which by nature clumps. Fescues are big thatch producers. This is like a straw mat that prevents weeds, or new grass for that matter. I would suggest dethatching and using the thatch in a compost or as a free mulch elsewhere. Then I would suggest at least a seeding aeration (star disc) if not the traditional core aeration (hole punch). Then I suggest seeding with more fescue. Then composting lightly over that to cover. Then moisten and keep it moist for a while to establish. During establishment a starter fertilizer is best, one with a high middle number of Phosporus if possible. These are flowering and fruiting as well as lawn starting fertilizers. Your lawn seems a reasonable size for a hose end liquid fertilizer. You may manipulate the fertilizer middle number if you purchase something like a super phosphate. There are 2, triple super phosphate and super phosphate. One has sulfur (made from gypsum) if you have alkaline soil, and one does not. 30mL dissolved in 4 liters (2 Tbsp per gallon) will boost any ferilizer you have lying around already so a small bag goes a long way.

Your buxus look nice. Do you intend a low hedge around your patio at some point? It seems nearly time to repot them and that is an opportunity for new plants right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ore of two things come to mind. In the last days of Winter right before Spring you should bring a layer of quality topsoil and level the ground. Or you can remove the top inch completely then amend the soil and reseed in Spring.
Sounds interesting. When you say remove a top inch, how do you do that (sorry, complete newbie at gardening!!)

I was thinking of laying black plastic over the lawn to starve everything of sunlight and then, I don't know - presuming I had a load of rubbish left after, just use a fork to turn it over and then seed with Kentucky BlueGrass or a similar hardy, weed resistant grass???

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My lawn is lumpy and uneven. Seems like there are lush green lumps and then larger areas where grass is more yellow / green and sparse. Any ideas what I can do ti improve it?
Those lumps and uneven patches can be a real buzzkill, but fret not! To level up your lawn game, start by aerating the soil to alleviate compaction, then overseed those sparse areas with some fresh, high-quality grass seed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds interesting. When you say remove a top inch, how do you do that (sorry, complete newbie at gardening!!)

I was thinking of laying black plastic over the lawn to starve everything of sunlight and then, I don't know - presuming I had a load of rubbish left after, just use a fork to turn it over and then seed with Kentucky BlueGrass or a similar hardy, weed resistant grass???
Roto till the lawn, level and reseed or sod.

Ask a Question