Lawn Clippings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think that would be a great way to get rid of the clippings and ad some nutrients to your garden. I have never tried it, but don't see the harm. You can also add the clippings to an established compost pile and mix them into the garden that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Green grass clippings should not be used as mulch and here are a few reasons why not and I am sure that there are other reasons as well. First of all a thick layer (3"-6") of green mulch will greatly reduce air circulation at soil level and in the mulch itself, thereby slowing or stopping the decomposition process allowing the green clipping to become anerobic and creating a very unpleasent odor. Secondly this mulch of matted green grass will effectively stop moisture from reaching the soil under the plant. Also it will stop the production on humus and humates because of the lack of moisture and oxygen. And if you use any herbicides on your lawn you will transfer them to your garden and if you didn't use herbicides you will transfer live seeds from the grass and weeds that you have mown down directly into your garden.

Ask a Question