kitchen window sill herbs

Reaction score
I plant my herbs in the spring and use fresh all summer. In the fall, I will pick and dry the rest. I would love to have fresh herbs all year but I have a hard time growing fresh for over the winter indoors. My kitchen has two windows that face east. Is there anyone else who grows their herbs inside over winter?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I brought a pot of Basil into the kitchen, its picking up as its warmer inside. Really ought to repot it though, basil can grow to quite a size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Herbs on the windowsill are sort of hit or miss for me. Last year I started basil and lavender from seed and everything great. This year I tried again and it didn't go as well. Some plants just do better outdoors where they can get enough light. If you're in a house and not an apartment, you may want to consider a small portable greenhouse.

Reaction score
I would love to have a window sill garden in the kitchen. I have been putting some thought into what sort of indoor winter garden would work best for me. I wonder how rosemary or thyme would do indoors. I have already decided on a pot of chives and some basil but I don't have nearly as much space as I would wish for.

Reaction score
I too, would love to grow my soft leaved herbs on a kitchen window sill over the Winter :) and can just imagine the lovely aroma of fresh herbs filling my kitchen, but my biggest problem is that I don't have a window sill :(
Where I live the houses don't have window sills and if if they do, they are not on the inside - but on the outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes, oh:( I can't imagine not having a window sill:( In my area houses always have them, and they're big.
As for herbs, currently I grow basil, mint and thyme. I find growing them rather easy, also during winter.

Reaction score
Gata Montes, oh:( I can't imagine not having a window sill:( In my area houses always have them, and they're big.
As for herbs, currently I grow basil, mint and thyme. I find growing them rather easy, also during winter.

Nor could I, and even after over ten years of not having one, I still miss my window sill :(
Obviously, Just one of those things that you have to get used to, when you live in a country where they build houses - inside-out :D

Your houses sound great - with those great big window sills - you've almost got a full herb garden growing on yours, bet it smells absolutely gorgeous :)
Now I know why your miniature roses do so well - apart from all your TLC , they live on big window sills, when they're not in the attic of course :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nor could I, and even after over ten years of not having one, I still miss my window sill :(
Obviously, Just one of those things that you have to get used to, when you live in a country where they build houses - inside-out :D

Your houses sound great - with those great big window sills - you've almost got a full herb garden growing on yours, bet it smells absolutely gorgeous :)
Now I know why your miniature roses do so well - apart from all your TLC , they live on big window sills, when they're not in the attic of course :D

I use a clothes airer that was designed to hook over caravan windows, but i've adapted it for indoor use by putting a couple of eye bolts into the wall.

It occurred to me that the same thing would make a removable internal window sill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland

Yes, a big window sill is a great thing:D. Currently, I dream about having a double window sill though, because I'm running out of space. It would be great if every window had two window sills:p
Have you thought about growing herbs in a hanging basket indoors? I'm pretty sure that it would look nice.
I'm thinking about something like this:

contemporary-indoor-pots-and-planters.jpg

Reaction score
I usually grow everything outside, but I love the ideas of live plants and the oxygen they produce. I think the idea of hanging baskets is a great one and I have just the window in mind.

Reaction score
Claudine

Currently I'm dreaming about having a window sill - let alone a double one :LOL: but a double one does sound even better.

Love the picture and your idea of growing my herbs, in hanging baskets in the kitchen, :) I can just imagine how good they would look and smell. Unfortunately my other problem, is that my windows are recessed and very much smaller than the one in the picture, which means that, unless I can find a tasty herb that will grow in the dark, I'm still not going to have, much luck with growing herbs inside over the Winter :)

Zigs

Many thanks for the suggestion, but have to say you surprised me - I thought you were going to suggest putting up a shelf :D but instead you mention a clothes airer for a caravan, which although I haven't seen one, just the name, is immediately conjuring images in my mind, of string and wires, :confused: how does that work?

Reaction score
Basil, thyme, and mints seem to grow well inside as long as they have a nice sunny location. Parsley and oregano do well inside too. I stick with these standards as a rule and am never disappointed with them as long as I meet their needs in terms of light, fertilizer and water. Pinching back the leaves as well as regular trimming is important to their good health too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Whatever any of you decide to plant, just be sure your plants are going to be able to get the appropriate amount of sunlight in the chosen window. I grew some herbs that way last year and they just don't grow all that much indoors on the window sill as compared to outdoors getting the full amount of sun. I am about to move some outdoor things around so they get more light.

Reaction score
Whatever any of you decide to plant, just be sure your plants are going to be able to get the appropriate amount of sunlight in the chosen window. I grew some herbs that way last year and they just don't grow all that much indoors on the window sill as compared to outdoors getting the full amount of sun. I am about to move some outdoor things around so they get more light.

I am in agreement. The key to any indoor herb garden is sunlight. They love the sunrays and thrive when they get plenty of it.

An herb without sunlight is like a day without sunshine, just dreary.

Ask a Question