Keeping your indoor plants green/healthy and blooming

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The ban was on the use of a hosepipe, no matter what it was coming from. On one hand they were encouraging re cycling the bath water but if you syphoned it you risked a fine.

They've seen the error of their ways now, I think there was advice on what not to use if you were going to water plants with it, you wouldn't want to be pouring bath salts on the garden either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The ban was on the use of a hosepipe, no matter what it was coming from. On one hand they were encouraging re cycling the bath water but if you syphoned it you risked a fine.

They've seen the error of their ways now, I think there was advice on what not to use if you were going to water plants with it, you wouldn't want to be pouring bath salts on the garden either.

Okay, you're going to have to explain to me why the hosepipe was such an issue. What does (did) your government have against the use of a hose? If it wasn't the fact that the water came from the bathtub, why did the hose matter?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The hosepipe ban was introduced to conserve the water when the reservoirs ran low, only no one thought about using one to syphon bathwater. So the ban was just on the use of a hosepipe.

Neighbours were quick to report someone using one if they weren't allowed to.

Reaction score
Interesting Ziggy, why was it illegal in the first place? Although if people were putting oils in their bath, you wouldn't want to see that end up in the water table since it's bad for fish and other aquatic creatures.
I used to water my garden very early in the morning.. but now I do it a couple of hours later after i finish my cooking. I do have a bucket with a tight lid to store water that I may use to wash fruits during the day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I used to water my garden very early in the morning.. but now I do it a couple of hours later after i finish my cooking. I do have a bucket with a tight lid to store water that I may use to wash fruits during the day.
The hosepipe ban was introduced to conserve the water when the reservoirs ran low, only no one thought about using one to syphon bathwater. So the ban was just on the use of a hosepipe.

Neighbours were quick to report someone using one if they weren't allowed to.

We take so much for granted here; hardly anyone thinks about where their water comes from or how it gets to them or why water shouldn't be wasted.

@Maddie, I think I may get a small pail for storing water like that; this time of year I hate having to run the tap waiting for the water to heat up even to just wash my hands. I could save it and then use it in the toilet if nothing needed to be watered.

@Zigs, here it would most likely be the neighbors needing to be reported.

Reaction score
For the past few months I've been misting my plants and they love it. They look healthier and are more vibrant. Misting keeps your plants happy, especially those that like higher humidity. Misting also keeps aphids and spider mites away. Ferns, orchids, and most other house plants love the mist. Plants that don't require much water, like cactus, don't need to be misted. Mist at least once per day, early in the morning. Misting in the morning allows the daylight hours for the mist to dry off the plant. Misting at night can be promote disease and other problems for your plants.

Is there anything I can do to kill the spider mites on my Alocasia Polly? They are covering the leaves with nasty weblike film. I don't know where they came from. My plant was fine for years. I've only noticed the spider mites in the past couple of months.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
" the solar lights I have are pretty small about a feet in height similar to the ones in the picture on the right. I stick them into a pot and leave them in my balcony to catch the sun in the morning.. I stick them into the plant containers by mid afternoon when they are fully charged.. this ensures that my plants get 8-10 hours of light each each day.
These are so cost effective.. all you have to do is change the bulbs when the fuse,.. I have been using mine for two years+ now and haven't had to change the bulbs so far. The LED lights too are not all that expensive. " I have looked at solar lights and wondered if I could use them in the house to help the plants get more sunshine.

Ask a Question