Keeping Squirrels Out of the Garden

Reaction score
Most people don't realize it but squirrels will actually raid your garden. They raided ours a couple of years ago and tore our corn slam up and enjoyed dancing through our bean vines. They also enjoyed our watermelons.

I did not believe my husband until he pointed out the corn silk half way up the huge pine tree that stands next to the garden.

Does anyone have any idea on how to keep them out of the garden? They have been problematic in the past.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most people don't realize it but squirrels will actually raid your garden. They raided ours a couple of years ago and tore our corn slam up and enjoyed dancing through our bean vines. They also enjoyed our watermelons.

I did not believe my husband until he pointed out the corn silk half way up the huge pine tree that stands next to the garden.

Does anyone have any idea on how to keep them out of the garden? They have been problematic in the past.
HVLP properly applied works every time

Reaction score
What is HVLP? Squirrels are a pain but there are things like Squirrel B Gone that help. I take food like cheap sunflowers and leave piles as far away from my gardens as possible. Squirrels will also dig down six inches and loot your bulbs. Making a mix with cayenne pepper with it and spraying it on the plants does help too. Or, get a rifle and sit out by the garden and shot the little buggers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried to keep squirrels out of my garden. I love them:)
I always leave a lot of walnuts for them. They focus on them, so they don't destroy any plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is HVLP? Squirrels are a pain but there are things like Squirrel B Gone that help. I take food like cheap sunflowers and leave piles as far away from my gardens as possible. Squirrels will also dig down six inches and loot your bulbs. Making a mix with cayenne pepper with it and spraying it on the plants does help too. Or, get a rifle and sit out by the garden and shot the little buggers.
High Velocity Lead Projectile. Seriously, there is nothing that will keep tree rats out of you garden if they want in. Sure there are those sprays like Squirrel Away that work for a few minutes. You can't use poisons. HaveAHeart traps are ineffective. The only deterrent that works is a cat that loves to eat squirrels. Or you could chop down all of the trees. Or not have a garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We have been having a problem with the squirrels this year as well. I feed them, and I am not sure if that makes the situation better or worse. I do like the squirrels, just not when they are eating my garden. I think they even ate the castor bean plant when it came up, and they are supposed to be poison. I didn't find any dead squirrels; so if it kelled the squirrel, it must have been back in its little tree house home.
I tried one of those ultrasound devices last year, and I do think it helped, but last year was just not a good gardening year for me, squirrels or not.
I have been thinking about getting another one of the ultrasonic things, but I am not really sure if it really helps or not..
HVLP is not an option here, I live right in town. Besides, I don't want to kill them, just keep them out of my garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have been having a problem with the squirrels this year as well. I feed them, and I am not sure if that makes the situation better or worse. I do like the squirrels, just not when they are eating my garden. I think they even ate the castor bean plant when it came up, and they are supposed to be poison. I didn't find any dead squirrels; so if it kelled the squirrel, it must have been back in its little tree house home.
I tried one of those ultrasound devices last year, and I do think it helped, but last year was just not a good gardening year for me, squirrels or not.
I have been thinking about getting another one of the ultrasonic things, but I am not really sure if it really helps or not..
HVLP is not an option here, I live right in town. Besides, I don't want to kill them, just keep them out of my garden.
There is always a pump up pellet gun. You don't have to kill them, just sting their behinds and they will get the message

Reaction score
High Velocity Lead Projectile. Seriously, there is nothing that will keep tree rats out of you garden if they want in. Sure there are those sprays like Squirrel Away that work for a few minutes. You can't use poisons. HaveAHeart traps are ineffective. The only deterrent that works is a cat that loves to eat squirrels. Or you could chop down all of the trees. Or not have a garden

Oh I had to laugh when I read this. Yes squirrels are a pain in the rear if they get into your garden. Our dogs hate squirrels and normally they do a pretty good job of policing them but they also tear up our garden traipsing through it while chasing them. I will have to inform hubby of this new method. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
High Velocity Lead Projectile. Seriously, there is nothing that will keep tree rats out of you garden if they want in.
Good point but not just tree rats, you can get regular rats too if you are in an area where there could be some. I would imagine that people in urban areas have to deal with real rats. Shooting is great if you can do that but there has to be other solutions, I just try to make sure there are things along the bed that will be a determinant, things with thorns like roses or that plants that don't taste to good. i was told the rolled netting works well. Make sure it is the fine type. This is why I always encouraged my boys to bring me home snakes and toads. Natural garden control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I feel you about the squirrels. When I started my gung ho attitude in gardening it was quickly deflated by squirrels. Having to find all my bulbs dug up and then figuring it out was the squirrels really sent me on a rampage. I wanted to place a piece of metal over the tree hole and nail it down but my husband would not take any part in it being God's creature.

My only resolve was to find wire screen and place over the bulbs until I could see new growth. I had read somewhere that squirrels don't like the smell of mint, is this true? Has anyone tried this method as a deterrent for squirrels? What about growing mint, does it overtake gardens? I do like the HVLP method though.:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score

I know first hand that they don't like cayenne pepper. So, mix some in a suspension of vegetable oil and water and apply it to the area you wish to protect. That should do the trick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
Squirrels want to dig up all my containers, so I combat them with cayenne pepper and some fencing until the plants get large enough where the squirrels can no longer dig.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
I have 2 German Shepherds and a German Shepherd/Great Pyrenees mix...Since I have had them, the squirrels are very reluctant to get into our yard. Do you have the space or do you like dogs enough to get one? Especially the LGD are very good about deturring

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another good reason to have a cat or small dog that is a ratter. My grandmother always had a siamese cat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Like the other thread about burrowing animalsl, I have nothing to contribute on driving away squirrels. But if those rodents are treated as rodents then rat poison will do the trick. Over here, rats sometimes attack gardens although our garden is safe because we had poisoned all the rats that were roaming outside our property. They would eat the fruits of the small trees so we had to do something.

Ask a Question