Keeping a cat away...

Reaction score
I would like to start growing different herbs indoors again, but I'm always having a problem with my cat. Or the plants having a problem with my cat lol.
So, he loves to gnaw on the leaves or kill the plants by ripping them from the pot.
I've tried a commercial cat repel spray but it doesn't have any effect on him. I'm looking for some preferably natural remedies for this. Any help? :)

Reaction score
I would like to start growing different herbs indoors again, but I'm always having a problem with my cat. Or the plants having a problem with my cat lol.
So, he loves to gnaw on the leaves or kill the plants by ripping them from the pot.
I've tried a commercial cat repel spray but it doesn't have any effect on him. I'm looking for some preferably natural remedies for this. Any help? :)

Haha I have a effective solution for changing cat behavior. Hide and squirt water from a can when you cat gets anywhere near your pots. My neighbor's cat is always after my grow lights.. he loves to pee on it.. I don't know why.. I found this to very effective to change his habit. He never comes near my plants or grow lights now. If you don't hide your cats does not associate behavior with action, he only thinks you are angry with him and may get more moody. Try it.

Reaction score
Maybe try giving your cat his own potted herb such as catnip. My sister buys a small grass growing kit that includes a small tub, dirt and grass seeds. She waters it when it gets dry and trims it with scissors if it gets too tall. Her cats love it and now they stay away from her other plants.

Reaction score
Hmm, my cat gets absolutely crazy when I give his some catnip :)
I'm not sure if growing some cat grass would prevent the other plants from getting eaten but I can consider it.
And I will try the water squirt method too! Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Robby, have you tried it yet? My mom's cats have started destroying her indoor plants. One of them in particular thinks everything that exists in his environment is meant to be a toy (except the litterbox, thankfully). Last week I had to put the poinsettia on top the fridge and move the peace lily to a room he's not allowed in.

Reaction score
I've heard to sprinkle them with hot pepper seeds. I've never tried it. My cat used to pee in the plant and I put upside down duct tape over the pots and it got stuck to her paws once and she never goes near it. All I have to do is hang it on the side of a pot and she stays away. Not sure if it would work for your cat because mine is a strange cat. I adopted her so she did get sent to a shelter you would think she would be more great full then to pee in my plants when she has nice clean litter box.

Ask a Question