Just started my own garden!

Reaction score
I am so happy because I just started my own garden aside from the rest of the family! I don't know if any of you have heard of this but it's a sq. foot garden. It is going to save space but grow more produce. I have planted cukes, onions, lettuce, carrots, beans and spinach. All in 4x4' sq.

Reaction score
yes I have heard and read up on them and was actually planning on starting one next season. Keeps us posted and let us know how yours works out. Here is an image of a sq. foot garden I found on squarefootgardening.org
023-300x225.jpg

Reaction score
Congratulations! I can't wait until I can say this. Just wait until you get to harvest and eat your own goodies, that will be a blast. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds great, I look forward to hearing more about how it turns out! :)

Jed

Reaction score
Good on you veg 11 for going it alone. Gardening is very rewarding and the bonus is flowers and vegetables for the small patch gardener.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
A sq. foot garden sounds like a really great idea! It must be very exciting to start your own garden. I'm sure it will make you happy - taking care of a garden is one of the most wonderful things to do:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My grandfather has a raised bed in the back yard that my dad built. He's not really that capable of maintaining it by himself (he's blind) and neither my dad or my aunt are going to put in the work. A square foot garden may be just the thing, though he wanted to grow okra, which needs a lot of space.

Reaction score
I think it would. You can make make different kinds of sq. foot gardens and one is a waste high one foe elderly people or people in weal chairs.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've thought about doing one of those elevated raised bed gardens myself, just to eliminate some of the issues with the typical garden pest. Not having to bend over so much would definitely be an advantage, but I've discovered that the best thing for me is to use containers that I can move around, so for now I am going to have to stick with that.

Reaction score
That's awesome! I like this idea of the square foot tho it is the first time I had heard of it. Cucumbers can really get grabby tho so be sure to keep them hooked onto stakes or something so they don't grab all of your other plants.

I may have to lay out some of my garden this way next year to give it a little bit more style. I am a little limited on space having a small yard so this is perfect! I do have some room in my garden, but not as much as most people do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know yourbregion, but in Middle Tennessee we are still about a month away from planting warm weather veggies like beans. I have planted my cold crops, cabbage, Brussels sprouts,nlettuce, kale, spinach but they like it a little cold. Although, last night we had a freeze, so things might not be good.

Ask a Question