Just moved. need help (rank beginner)

Reaction score
My family recently moved to a new house. I am an artist so, I work from home. I figure it would be a great time to fix up the backyard. However, I am very new to this so, would like/need some help with the design.There is one photo missing (I do not know why it was not imported to my PC) It is a long row similar to the one behind the garage that is about 3x as long running all the way to the cobble stone looking area.

So, any input? I am open to anything. My family would like fruit trees in the large grass area maybe 3-5 depending on type. Berry bushes somewhere and perennials since they may be cheaper in the long run.

I live in southern California zone 10.

If any more info is needed I am happy to provide it.

DSCF3656.JPGDSCF3664.JPGDSCF3667.JPGDSCF3668.JPGDSCF3665.JPGDSCF3666.JPGDSCF3658.JPGDSCF3659.JPGDSCF3661.JPGDSCF3662.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome aboard lucas! :)

For long gardens, I always think it looks nice when the lawn is broken up by introducing more shape - for example, using linked circles like this:

circles_1.jpg

You could plant fruit trees and bushes in the gaps at the side, it would look lovely!

lee

Reaction score
I agree the linked circles. They look excellent. I want to do something similar in my garden, but it's a little more square than I would like.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you looking to plant verggies or flowers? What would you like to see in your yard are a few of the first questions you want to answer. Do you want more shade, some place to sit? It can be a lovely place to rest.

Reaction score
Those circles look really nice.

I am looking to mostly plant flowers (perennials), shrubs, trees, maybe a few berry bushes. The large areas preferably fruit trees and the rest I am open to ideas. The area at the wall (4th picture) is the only place where I plan to grow some veggies only because to the left on the other side of the garage I raise rabbits for meat and would prefer to grow their food. To grow food for the family may not be efficient as we eat a lot of veggies.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The hydrangea is a nice plant to start with, it is a bush that flowers in several colors, which could give your area the pop of color you need.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I see now that they have dwarf apple trees that you can espalier on a concrete wall .I have dwarf apple and peach ,pear,cherry ,plum trees .I just added a dwarf fig tree .Wish i could grow lemons and oranges .

Reaction score
Wow, it looks like you have a great plot to start with. I LOVE the ideas of the circles. I never would have thought about, but they look great! I can't wait to see your progress as you start working on it.

Reaction score
I think it's good that you asked for ideas and help. When you have finished your research, since you are an artist, I believe you can reach inside and come up with something great because, at the bottom of gardening, is art. Gardening is an art. Laying out the garden is an art. The whole thing is an act of creation, which is artistic work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My thought is that you should put some flowering bushes along the front of your house, if this is the picture of the front of your house. It will give it a lot of life and color. Have fun with this project as it looks exciting!

Ask a Question