Moved to a new home,help me with design idea plse..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all :)

We moved into our first home in july....
We dont have much plants in front yard and backyard now...
Starting with front yard ,Iam not happy with the current plant bed shape...
Thinking of changing it but! May be it wil look good with more shurbs?
I would appreciate some direction and advices..
Plsee help this newbie ..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome. :)

Where in the US do you live/ what is your USDA growing zone?

Impossible to respond helpfully without knowing if you live in Alaska or Hawaii or some place in between.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome. :)

Where in the US do you live/ what is your USDA growing zone?

Impossible to respond helpfully without knowing if you live in Alaska or Hawaii or some place in between.

Sorry!!

Wish i was in Hawaii!!
For now ,We are in raleigh NC, in zone 7b

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry!!

Wish i was in Hawaii!!
For now ,We are in raleigh NC, in zone 7b

You and me both!

Were me, I'd plant perennials, maybe some tall ornamental grasses where the little shrubs are now, across that entire strip along the front there. My approach to garden design is a bit haphazard, but check out a thread in the general forum called "Gardening with a cause" for one approach.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You and me both!

Were me, I'd plant perennials, maybe some tall ornamental grasses where the little shrubs are now, across that entire strip along the front there. My approach to garden design is a bit haphazard, but check out a thread in the general forum called "Gardening with a cause" for one approach.

I liked the idea of grasses...and going to check the forum rite now ...
Thank you so much....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Skyler, that is a lovely home, but you're right--the landscaping leaves something to be desired. That regimented row of small shrubs in front--depending on whether or not you like them, they can be removed or something slightly taller can be planted in between them. You will want to see out the windows, and also have access to the windows for washing, so nothing too tall and stiff, and definitely nothing with thorns!
The tree--what kind is it? It seems pretty close to the sidewalk and to the overhang of the front windows. It might need limbing up to allow people to use the sidewalk without ducking branches, and branches could rub on the overhang's shingles. You might want to move it this winter to a spot farther from the house.
The bed in front of your porch looks rather sparse, but that is, I think, because the plants are young and will fill in later. Meanwhile you can plant some colorful annuals to fill in.
Now, let us have at your back yard!:LOL:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very beautiful home you have. You will want to decide if you want to have flowers or shrubs, low maintenance or just how much time and money you want to put into your garden. Rock gardens also help to give the house more curb appeal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very beautiful home you have. You will want to decide if you want to have flowers or shrubs, low maintenance or just how much time and money you want to put into your garden. Rock gardens also help to give the house more curb appeal.

i would like to mix shrubs and flowers....
Definitely low maintenance...
Now i know what i want!
Thank you very much!!

I dont know what is rock garden .. Will google it...

Do you have any suggestions for the shape of the flower bed..
I think its too wide... Or is it because its bare now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Skyler, that is a lovely home, but you're right--the landscaping leaves something to be desired. That regimented row of small shrubs in front--depending on whether or not you like them, they can be removed or something slightly taller can be planted in between them. You will want to see out the windows, and also have access to the windows for washing, so nothing too tall and stiff, and definitely nothing with thorns!
The tree--what kind is it? It seems pretty close to the sidewalk and to the overhang of the front windows. It might need limbing up to allow people to use the sidewalk without ducking branches, and branches could rub on the overhang's shingles. You might want to move it this winter to a spot farther from the house.
The bed in front of your porch looks rather sparse, but that is, I think, because the plants are young and will fill in later. Meanwhile you can plant some colorful annuals to fill in.
Now, let us have at your back yard!:LOL:

I was thinkn the same about the tree...builders put that tree there..Its autumn maple.....
I have to replace it with something small...
I have to add few more plants ...looks empty now..
Got few hydrangeas to plant near the window...

For the entry way.. Iam still thinking.. Thats lot of space to fill ..

Thank u for ur input

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have several maples on my property and over time they can get huge! Don't know what the builder was thinking. o_O You definitely want to move it...they are lovely trees so I hope you can save it and have it moved a bit further out.

If you want low maintenance, go for hardy/perennial/native plants and if you're organized, plan them so you have early, midsummer, and late bloomers. That way you'll have color all season. Plus you'll attract pollinators.

Really your local nursery/greenhouse (NOT a big box store but a locally owned place) will be a fantastic resource for you. I have found such places are staffed by garden geeks who have knowledge of your particular climate, soil etc.

I'm not personally a fan of large swathes of sterile grass punctuated by regimented, fussy little flower beds. I love your hydrangea inspiration. :) Looks like a lovely house that deserves some big messy color and texture. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have several maples on my property and over time they can get huge! Don't know what the builder was thinking. o_O You definitely want to move it...they are lovely trees so I hope you can save it and have it moved a bit further out.

If you want low maintenance, go for hardy/perennial/native plants and if you're organized, plan them so you have early, midsummer, and late bloomers. That way you'll have color all season. Plus you'll attract pollinators.

Really your local nursery/greenhouse (NOT a big box store but a locally owned place) will be a fantastic resource for you. I have found such places are staffed by garden geeks who have knowledge of your particular climate, soil etc.

I'm not personally a fan of large swathes of sterile grass punctuated by regimented, fussy little flower beds. I love your hydrangea inspiration. :) Looks like a lovely house that deserves some big messy color and texture. :)

Woow...dont want tat tree to be huge!!!
Definitely moving tat... I have another maple in the back yard .. Not that close to the home like this one..

May be i can move this one to sideyard...

Yes, i need color!!
I found a local family owned nursery ...got some indoor plants from them..got a beautiful bird nest fern from them..

Cant wait to go back in spring

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Local family-owned nursery--great! Take photos and dimensions of your beds to that nursery--local nurseries depend on repeat business, so they won't steer you wrong or sell you a plant just to sell you a plant. Tell them what you want,low-maintenance, color, successive bloom, and they'll be able to guide you to some of the plants you need.
However, keep asking here, since there is such wide experience available on this forum. Sometimes local nurseries get stuck in a rut and sing the same song (petunias?) over and over.
If you move that autumn maple, you may need to hire an arborist to do it. Trees have extensive root systems, and you won't want to destroy any more roots than necessary.
Are you on a sewer system or a septic system? Either way, you don't want to put the tree where the roots will interfere with either your septic or the sewer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Many nurseries will come out to the home and do a survey on what the owner wants and what plants and trees are most appropriate for the area, and they also will suggest good designs to use for a most attractive yard. There is very large local nursery in my area that I contacted when I first moved to where I live now. I wasn't completely happy with the 'jungle' that existed in my back yard. There were plants growing that were over 15 feet tall, and because I had a large swimming pool, I didn't like the idea of many of the plants and trees dropping their debris during windy weather.

I called the biggest nursery in my area, that had many locations. They sent out a very nice young man who had a consultation with me and who helped me with my decisions. I was very happy with the end result. Oh, the best part -- the consultation was free -- even if I hadn't decided to purchase anything, there was no charge for the advice. I thought that was cool!

Ask a Question