Is wine acidic or alkaline?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So much of what we eat and drink is acidic. It works against you in many ways. But Vino, maybe not so much. I was suprised to see wine listed on an alkaline drinks list. Is this your experience? Does wine help and upset tummy or cause one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Most beverages are at least slightly acidic with a pH < 7. There are some neutral beverages such as some soy milk (and some vodka), and some mineral water and tap water is alkaline with a pH > 7.

However I understand that alkaline diets are a current health trend, and I have seen advertisements for specialty beverages that have had there pH adjusted to be made alkaline.

Here is one article concerned with the acidity of beverages. It doesn't discuss alcoholic beverages though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That was a fascinating read. Especially since I finished my Industrial Distribution BS at UAB and actually know Mary MacDougal. I live south of Birmingham where the study took place.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does wine help and upset tummy or cause one?
Depends on how much.
I have always thought of wine as acidic, as it contains fruit acids. A quick look online at a wine enthusiat site says pH 3 to 4. The crystals you can find in wine sometimes are tartaric acid. White wines are generally less acidic than red.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Interesting. is that general. or do they specify , sweeter wine versus the dryer wine? I have never had wine cause an upset tummy for me anyway. But would it help an upset tummy, don't think so. For an upset tummy, I would go with ginger ale.

with that thought process, it reminds me of how pickle juice is good for GERD. strange as it sounds, it does something "right" with the Ph balance of your stomach to fix that. This would be only considered for acute GERD. someone with chronic GERD may need something else, or try it in a pinch until they get to their regular medication.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in a half gallon tea pitcher makes comfort tea. Interesting for those without a gall bladder, THE most popular surgery out there that I know about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
However I understand that alkaline diets are a current health trend, and I have seen advertisements for specialty beverages that have had there pH adjusted to be made alkaline.
There are a bunch of bottled waters out there are are labeled as alkaline. I don't really understand this as you're just drinking something that will turn the acids in your stomach into water and salt. Remember, acid + base = water + salts. Granted the concentrations of stomach acids are far higher than any alkaline Smart Water you-re drinking.

@DirtMechanic - I don't know about gall bladder surgery but knee surgery seems to be really trendy around here. 3 or 4 guys around work, all under 35, limping around on newly rebuilt knees.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are a bunch of bottled waters out there are are labeled as alkaline. I don't really understand this as you're just drinking something that will turn the acids in your stomach into water and salt. Remember, acid + base = water + salts. Granted the concentrations of stomach acids are far higher than any alkaline Smart Water you-re drinking.
The alkaline bottled water trend is just following behind common standards for tap water (as usual). Many municipalities adjust their tap water to be slightly alkaline using sodium hydroxide. My local tapwater is usually about pH 8, though anything between pH 6.5 to 8.5 is considered acceptable. I believe the original rationale was to minimize lead leaching for old pipes, which is a pretty good reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

@DirtMechanic - I don't know about gall bladder surgery but knee surgery seems to be really trendy around here. 3 or 4 guys around work, all under 35, limping around on newly rebuilt knees.
35? The price of fancy boats (wink wink) has gone up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
35? The price of fancy boats (wink wink) has gone up.
Mostly cases of them breaking the rule of the 3 S's. Don't do stupid [stuff], with stupid people, in stupid places.

One guy slipped when at the top of a snow covered mountain in Washington, one guy was taken out playing soccer, one guy was being stupid on skis.

Ask a Question